Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Ok, before 9:00
    vitamin
    coffee
    breakfast x2
    packed dh lunch
    started a load of laundry
    packed and loaded swim bag
    unloaded dishwasher
    put dirty dishes in dishwasher
    cleaned up kitchen
    chores
    ten minute barn tidy
    two evaluations.

i didn’t start a fire because I have to leave soon.

plus 2.5 hours, total 13.5
    Worked on photo album project and completed two albums and culled some pictures. Wanted to have this done by Christmas but now shooting for Easter.
    Need to buy approximately 4 more albums to finish putting all photos in albums. It is a hundred years of pictures, however.

Wanted it to be really nice and gave up those standards (the captions, labeling things) two albums ago. Now I just want to get them into album form and I can go through and label later with my kids around.

From now on, will label as I go, and am starting a fresh album for this year, yay, so the pictures will be in much more reliable chronological order.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    plus 2.5 hours, total 13.5
    Worked on photo album project and completed two albums and culled some pictures. Wanted to have this done by Christmas but now shooting for Easter.
    Need to buy approximately 4 more albums to finish putting all photos in albums. It is a hundred years of pictures, however.

Wanted it to be really nice and gave up those standards (the captions, labeling things) two albums ago. Now I just want to get them into album form and I can go through and label later with my kids around.

From now on, will label as I go, and am starting a fresh album for this year, yay, so the pictures will be in much more reliable chronological order.

Ok, you know me, I cannot help but interject unhelpful opinion, but PLEASE consider that your superpower in this photo project is your knowledge of provenance. You know stuff your children do not know. You know names and dates, if approximate.

It is invaluable that you label on the back in pencil “Jane Huston, Tybee’s great aunt, at George Larson’s graduation circa 1960.”

Maybe you are already doing this, but it is far more important than putting them in albums. Over and over I See boxes of photographs that someone could not bring themsleves to “ put in an album” because it was too much work. But IF ONLY They had sat on the sofa in front of the TV marking in pencil the name of the person in the photograph and an approximate date, that was gold!

Any monkey can put things in an album.

Just last weekend I was sitting in DHS fathers house and they were passing around photograph albums of images that had been removed from boxes and put in an album without “captions. “. Well, some had captions but most did not so we had to guess 1) Who is in the photograph 2) where the photograph was taken 3) What year the photograph was taken

I completely agree. The photos will be of no use in another generation or two if the people can't be identified. For my 60th birthday, my cousin gave me a really lovely album of grandparents and great-grandparents and other relatives I've never met, and she did a great job of notating it. But she's an accountant and she probably has a ton of patience for detail, which I don't.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hear you guys. But what I am working with is my mom's old pictures, my dad's old pictures, and my old pictures. They have been coming into the house in bags from my folks' house, and I have a backlog in my case of my own family's pictures and what is on digital camera and my husband's, and now a thumbdrive from my son. In the case of my dad's photos, they have had to be copied for my cousin, and some need to be copied for my brothers. They have sat in boxes for years. Some are labeled, some are not.

This is kind of photo triage, and all I am doing is sorting them in chrono order and figuring out whose set of pictures they are. Pulling them out of the boxes is difficult for me--if I liked doing this, it would have been done by now. There is a ton of emotional work in just facing them.

The albums are the kind where you just pull the plastic up and toss the photos down. I'm grouping and tossing in a way that makes sense.

I will go through the albums with another family member and label then. If I wait to label them them will not make it out of the boxes,and I won't be able to see what is there.

This is actually kind of the Kondo stage where I see what is there and I cull and divide. Like today I will work on the kids' childhood years, and get one picture for the album of duplicates and divide the rest into piles for the kids and then send the piles to each kid. I brought these to work on last time I saw my son, but we were at my parents' house and we had absolutely no time to work on it.

I can't label until we have some order, and putting them all in the album is making me realize I don't want that many pictures of my parents' farm, so why label them each at this point?

Anyway, it is helping me to actually get it done and get them into order for viewing. Then we can go through them (emphasis we) and label them.

I finally got DH to help a little last night and it's actually therapeutic to look at some of the pictures, kind of life review. I think I am trying to come to peace with a lot of things right now, so I have to ease up on the actual work-- do the emotional work first, which is really, really hard for me.

As far as the photos of my grandparents on up, if I die before the project is done, they will probably pitch them anyway. My kids do not keep things, very little keeping for sentiment and no guilt about tossing stuff.

If I had to label stuff at this point, it would stop me, and I have to get this to stage 1, into the albums or gone.

Definitely makes sense, Tybee!! I hear ya. For me, photos used to be one of those--"I can't throw it out!"--even the fuzzy ones or the ones that I took of my feet by mistake. I don't know what's wrong with that part of my brain!! Every photo was like some glimmer of archeological importance.

I have my hoard of photos in about 5-6 old albums. Then there are two shoeboxes, and then a train case and a plastic bag of photos from MILs house. I started culling the shoeboxes and I put them in groups/categories ("Vermont vacation 2005" "DH 50th birthday" "Photos of backyard"). and just paper-clipped and labeled the categories as a first step. They're back in the shoeboxes, but better organized. Next step for me will also be labeling and maybe putting the best in books. And I did throw away the fuzzies!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

"Every photo was like some glimmer of archeological importance."

That's it! Definitely a major hurdle. I just finished sorting out the kid growing up years school and sports photos this morning, and have the little packets of extras read to send to them today.

Overwhelming, but I am doing this in little chunks, rather than trying to do it all at once, like you are saying. I like what you say about paper clipping and labeling. I think I will put them in albums as "Kids' sports over the years" and "Kids' school over the years" rather than trying to make the album totally in chrono. It's actually fun to see the school photos evolve over the years, and the kids can figure out what year is what.

My problem is I need permission to deep six any pictures where somebody looks unhappy. Is that sanitizing things too much?

"Every photo was like some glimmer of archeological importance."

That's it! Definitely a major hurdle. I just finished sorting out the kid growing up years school and sports photos this morning, and have the little packets of extras read to send to them today.

Overwhelming, but I am doing this in little chunks, rather than trying to do it all at once, like you are saying. I like what you say about paper clipping and labeling. I think I will put them in albums as "Kids' sports over the years" and "Kids' school over the years" rather than trying to make the album totally in chrono. It's actually fun to see the school photos evolve over the years, and the kids can figure out what year is what.

My problem is I need permission to deep six any pictures where somebody looks unhappy. Is that sanitizing things too much?
    Agree, ask your kids beforee tossing. If the image is otherwise good, maybe they wont mind unhappy faces. i just spent time with all of DH’s family during his father’s funeral, and they are a happy bunch who laughs at the “angry toddler” photos of yore. Even more potentially upsetting, one sister revealed to the youngest, a man well into his 50’s that he was an “oops” baby. But they were all laughing about it thru the weekend, he i cluded. He hadnt known and they were all surprised.

Oh man, this is just the sort of photographic time bomb I'd like to avoid!

"

haha! No--if I threw out pictures like that, I'd have to get rid of this one--a typical expression in all pictures of DD at one time in her young life:

Kids on train.jpeg

Thread Information