Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Aw, thanks for the encouragement. So nice to have a cheering squad here.

I thought I was done for the day, but then I found another box of paper in my bedroom, and in the course of trying to figure out if it was just all recycling or not, I ended up going through it (not all recycling - but most). One more half hour. New total: 18.5.
    That is wonderful, and so glad you could return the items and get so much cash and credit back--that must feel so good.

Good job ejchase!

is the shopping a problem? Could you take a picture of all the boxes and put it somewhere - like wrapped around your preferred card - to remind you to reconsider purchases before you buy them? I’m very glad you can return the stuff!

Okay, I haven't done anything for a few days because since the picture project was so motivating, and now it's done for now, so I need to set another project to complete the 40 hour challenge. I need 8 hours of something. I kind of like Teacher Terry's going through every drawer and cupboard, and I also have a project involving boxes in the shed. We were in the polar vortex so I lost momentum because it was too cold for me to go outside. Now there's a big sheet of ice across the yard, so I have to debate the box thing versus the cupboard drawer thing. Decisions.

Okay, change of plans. going to do 8 hours of digital decluttering before Feb 19. Going to check out the Marie Kondo digital decluttering episode on Netflix. Too cold to work in shed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Okay, change of plans. going to do 8 hours of digital decluttering before Feb 19. Going to check out the Marie Kondo digital decluttering episode on Netflix. Too cold to work in shed right now.
    Fantastic! What a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Good job ejchase!

is the shopping a problem? Could you take a picture of all the boxes and put it somewhere - like wrapped around your preferred card - to remind you to reconsider purchases before you buy them? I’m very glad you can return the stuff!
    Shopping isn't actually a problem - just returning! I always get overwhelmed at the thought of it, for some reason, - getting to UPS, filling out the little forms, packing everything up. So I think now that I know I procrastinate on it that I can talk to myself about it - e.g. "It's not really that complicated, just do it."

I did return a bunch of things today, and it felt like a huge weight was lifted.

I drove around to Goodwill, UPS, Target, a friends' house to give her some hand-me-downs. It was about three hours mixed in with other non-decluttering errands, so I'll call it one hour. New total: 19.5.

plus 2 hours of digital decluttering, total 34

Digitial decluttering is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    plus 2 hours of digital decluttering, total 34

Digitial decluttering is the worst.
    I'm sorry it's so hard, but good for you for diving in. That's a whole area I can't even comprehend at this point.

I did two more hours today. I've really been focusing on my bedroom which is where I've thrown a lot of my clutter when I don't know what to do with it. There is clutter elsewhere in the house, but I'm feeling like, at this point, maybe it would be healthy for me to make my personal space in the house a priority. After all, 98% of the time it's just me and my daughter here (her room is in pretty good shape), and I think it might be a great act of self-care to make my bedroom a spot in the house that I really love being in. Interestingly, I feel guilty just saying that - like I should focus on the "public" spaces first. Anyway, it's what I'm doing.

Today, I tackled my dresser, which I had spent quite a bit of time on in my "40 hours of decluttering" project in summer 2017. I had made a commitment to making it pretty - spent a lot of time online finding a bureau scarf (Etsy!), jewelry tree, and jewelry box I loved - and it really did spark an immense amount of joy when I finally arranged everything how I wanted it. But last fall I let papers pile up on it. So I went through them today, and now that space is clear and just as lovely as I remember it.

I also went through pretty much all my books in the house and found about 14 to give away. That's a drop in the bucket, but frankly, I like the feeling of a lot of books in a house, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

And I went through some old newspapers and other papers I found under the bed.

But it *is* going slowly. I still have lots of clutter on the floor, several bags and boxes of papers to go through. Sigh. One hour at a time. New total: 21.5.

Ejchase, you are doing well. And you deserve a nice room!

when we helped my ❤️Dd with her house, I was the last one there, and I gave her the tour of what we had done, and then I said: we didn’t do anything to your room except grab some clothes off the floor and set up this shelf by your door for clean clothes - you can use it somewhere else when it’s empty. But, I have clean sheets for you, and I am not leaving until we get the stuff off your bed and put them on and make you a decent place to sleep. So we did. And it helped her.

if you go to bed in the mess and wake up in the mess, there is no escape and it wears on you.

i remember when you did your dresser, and I am glad you got it back.

I agree, ejchase, your room should be a haven, and you are inspiring me to redo my bedside table, which constantly gets piled up with books and notebooks.

Did 7 hours of digital decluttering, so reached my 40 hour number for February.

This has been really helpful for me, so I may start a new thread for the time between now and March 20, unless someone else is starting one. I will probably select 30 hours.

Thanks so much, ejchase, for an inspiring and motivating thread!!!!

On, my in box is completely clear now!

Thread Information