Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Whatever their motives it will be good to have the help

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Whatever their motives it will be good to have the help
    For sure. I really am grateful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow! You all are making some good progress.

I hope to get at least a couple more hours done this weekend.

Haven't been following Fly-Lady's or anyone's particular method, but I had a successful paper file reduction this week.

I've mentioned before that I am someone who needs to visualize the end result before I can proceed; e.g., I bought a plastic tote sized exactly for file folders. I then emptied out a 2 drawer file cabinet, shredding the unneeded papers and moved a few inactive files to a banker's box. Active files are now at a one-drawer amount and just enough to fill the plastic tote that now sits on my office closet shelf. Then I dropped off the now empty file cabinet at the Goodwill. Just removing that one file cabinet has opened up the office space a lot.

Future projects will cull the several boxes of inactive files I still have in the back of the closet, but for now the day-to-day stuff is pretty well organized.

Congrats, Lainey. That sounds like a really satisfying step forward.

I got another hour done this week - no targeted project, just dealing with paper and other clutter accumulating around the house as I could. But it made a difference. New total: 28.

I just drove 6 books to the local antiquarian bookstore as a donation. 3 of them together should bring him $100+ and the other 3 probably worthless, but I will let him decide. Not worth my time to sell on ebay.

I did sell a prized one this week for $93 but that was more about getting it in the hands of someone who wanted it than it was money. I sold it on eBay, and I don’t know how much the fees are but I suspect they’re very high. Plus shipping was $13. So I might net $50 who knows.

I am probably done for the summer in culling books. I will pick it up again in the fall months. I don’t know that I have a whole lot that I would guarantee is worth money, but if I do I’m thinking about taking them to Hermann we have up at a used bookstore in Hermann and I really like supporting that local economy. I assume the proprietor does online sales because that’s the only way these things will sell.

Wow, Iris Lilies, that's some good money for purging!

I did another hour tonight. My dad is coming next week, and I have a lot to do to make the place presentable before he arrives. It's a little stressful, but I also know houseguest deadlines can be a good boost. New total: 29.

I did another hour tonight. New total: 30.

My dad is coming Friday, so I had to get the guestroom ready for him after I did that hour of decluttering. It hardly took any time at all which I realize is totally a result of all the decluttering I've done these last three years. It feels so good to have that room basically pretty well-organized and to feel like I don't need to fret about it much. For years, there were boxes of clutter in the corner. They are GONE.

I've also been starting to realize how much better I feel in our house than I did three years ago. It used to be I just felt stressed coming home because of all the clutter and when people came over, even if the house was relatively neat, I just felt embarrassed because we hadn't really made the place look nice. Over the past three years, in addition to decluttering, I've just been doing a lot of thinking about what would make me feel good in the house - bought new couch pillows, a new rug, moved some furniture, bought some more, hung some pictures that "sparked joy," just really thought about what I liked. A couple of times this year I've had friends over, and I realized I really felt pretty good about the house. It's not as nice as some of my friends' houses, but it feels like a relatively comfortable space for me, and there are some spaces - the guestroom, my bedroom, the living room - that really feel nurturing to me.

So thanks to all of you who have been supporting me on this decluttering journey. I still have a LONG way to go, but everything I've done so far has clearly improved my quality of life on a daily basis.

Echase, clearly your efforts have paid off and your life is better. So glad!

Wow EJ, that is really great to hear!

Thread Information