Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

About five years ago I got rid of 15 banker boxes full of books. My nephew is a teacher at a school that can't afford a lot of books. Most of the ones I donated were classics. So this weekend I decided to Marie Kondo the remaining books in my house. While I was deciding what to get rid of and what to keep, I put all the ones I hadn't read yet in one pile. Of those, the ones I kept, I put on one shelf separately . Now I'm working through that shelf of books before I take any other ones out of the library. I am donating as I finish them to one of those little libraries. I love those things! I drive by one almost daily so it's easy. The only problem is I take home more books, ha ha! So far I have two more bankers boxes to donate and a box for my dad. It took about three hours including cleaning the shelves while they were empty. Surprisingly little dust as they were so crammed full there wasn't room for dust.

Sorry for the double post, was trying to correct my spelling . Should be crammed not cramped shelves. Am afraid to try and correct as I might y end up with three posts!

Quote Originally Posted by debbie View Post
    About five years ago I got rid of 15 banker boxes full of books. My nephew is a teacher at a school that can't afford a lot of books. Most of the ones I donated were classics. So this weekend I decided to Marie Kondo the remaining books in my house. While I was deciding what to get rid of and what to keep, I put all the ones I hadn't read yet in one pile. Of those, the ones I kept, I put on one shelf separately . Now I'm working through that shelf of books before I take any other ones out of the library. I am donating as I finish them to one of those little libraries. I love those things! I drive by one almost daily so it's easy. The only problem is I take home more books, ha ha! So far I have two more bankers boxes to donate and a box for my dad. It took about three hours including cleaning the shelves while they were empty. Surprisingly little dust as they were so cramped full there wasn't room for dust😁
    This sounds like a great system for making sure you read the unread books you own! Very inspiring!

Well, I didn't manage to hit 25 hours before I went out of town last week, but I did manage 2 more hours today. New total: 24.5.

Still putt-putting along here. 30 more minutes yesterday. New total: 25.

So-o-o some tough life stuff happened, and I totally let it distract me from this goal.

But I am finally back at it and eked out two hours this week.

Tonight, I tackled the guest room which I've been feeling bad about. The desk in there was piled with papers, and I finally went in and went through them all and swept and tidied, and now that room is FINE. Best. Therapy. Ever.

New total: 27.

Got a big stack of filing caught up Sunday afternoon and in the process pulled old papers out to be shredded. That feels good.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

In the basement today clearing stuff.

Inside of an hour got two contractor bags of garbage, 3 bags of clothes for Vietnam Vets, one recycling bin with the contents of 2 banker's boxes of old work documents, and labeled two plastic bins with Christmas stuff for garage sale and "ask kids" stuff.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Are you going to hold a big garage sale before going to Vermont?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Are you going to hold a big garage sale before going to Vermont?
    Yes, the plan is:
    a. Throw away stuff
    b. Hold big garage sale
    c. Post some of what's left on Craigslist
    d. If it can't be sold, repost on Freecycle
    e. If it can't be given away, bring to Goodwill or put on curb

My kids have all offered to help. I think they want to be sure I'm not throwing away something of theirs they want to keep!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information