Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

plus 3 hours, total 7.5.
    Not teaching these last two weeks and really working on house as much as can. Yesterday moved along a set of wooden handled flatware and a Monopoly set--had two thrift shop sets and combined them, and someone else had already done the same, so have lots of cool tokens now and replaced the yucky plastic hotels and houses with wood from the one set. Am working on eliminating the multiples of things. This should be fairly obvious, and I am seeing it is a real issue for me, so grappling with why this is so.

Nice work, everyone!

I'm out of town until Thursday night but am looking forward to diving back in after that!

"Decluttering at the Speed of Life" is taking over popularity. Although we're not very cluttered, I'm reading it. She's got some very sound ideas!

60 minutes in my closet: 1big bag of throwaways and 1 big bag for VVA pick-up (so far)

I'm not really Kondo-ing after all. I think I'm going to try the OP system of starting with 15 minutes a day and seeing where it leads me. I'm reading Atomic Habits, and I love some of the ideas in that book. For instance, tell yourself you're ONLY going to [exercise/declutter/write in a journal/etc] for 5 minutes (I think they actually say start with 1 minute). If you have to make yourself STOP after 5 minutes. It gets you over that paralysis hump of "OMG, this is overwhelming to start!"

So 15 minutes sounds good, and as time permits, I'll probably be so into it I'll continue.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine I hate to be a Debbie Downer but with a entire house to get done I would do it a hour a day if you hope to finish within a year. The more you tackle it and get brutal the easier it gets. Maybe start selling some of the furniture you don’t want. Last move we sold the furniture not going to the new place months before our move.

Just went on amazon and bought the kindle book G recommended for only 2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine I hate to be a Debbie Downer but with a entire house to get done I would do it a hour a day if you hope to finish within a year. The more you tackle it and get brutal the easier it gets. Maybe start selling some of the furniture you don’t want. Last move we sold the furniture not going to the new place months before our move.
    Good point, but I'm a classic chronic procrastinator, and once I start back on my job next week, I'll NEVER find an hour--I may HAVE an hour but I'll find excuses not to do it. The thing I like about start small is typically it breaks the procrastinator's inertia. Today, for instance I told myself I was going to work for 15 minutes and I set a timer, but I kept going when it rang. I think that method matches my personality better.

BTW, I also saw that the kindle book G recommended is only 2.99--and I ALMOST bought it, but I knew it would wind up another gateway to procrastinating. This year, my mantra has to be "less paralysis by analysis," and "less reading about how to do, more just doing it!"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I understand Catherine. Something is better than nothing. Maybe on a weekend you can devote a day. That’s what I did when I was working full time. Or ignore me)

Catherine, do you get pleasure out of decluttering? I do! Once I attack an area to clean out, I focus on it and just pitch away! I am like TTerry, I measure cleanouts in bigger terms than item by item.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Catherine, do you get pleasure out of decluttering? I do! Once I attack an area to clean out, I focus on it and just pitch away! I am like TTerry, I measure cleanouts in bigger terms than item by item.
    Not really. I am satisfied when it's done, but like hoarders, I'm not good at quick decisions and then I wind up with all these piles: throw away, give away, maybe keep, free cycle, ask kids if they want it, sell on Ebay.

It's overwhelming for someone who probably has adult ADD. That's how my house gets cluttered to begin with.

I do have one construction bag filled with old clothes that is going out on the curb tonight. I have a smaller bag of clothes that I'm going to log for an IRS deduction and then put aside for the pick-up I have an appointment for mid-month.

Thread Information