Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tai chi, anyone?

Tai chi, anyone?

I've signed up for a Tai chi class and am wondering if anyone has experience with it.
    What did you like or dislike about it?
    The teacher has an excellent reputation - I'm concerned that I might find it boring...
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

We liked it but it threw my back out and it took me a month to recover. I took a lot of chiropractic appointments. My husband had his knees hurt really bad. I was shocked because it is slow movement and we walk long distances every day.

I took one ten minute class, and it was cool. I can see how body parts gets twisted, howver.

Enjoy making those beautiful lady hands
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-27-18 at 4:50pm.

Years ago I took a twice weekly Tai Chi class, Yang Style, Short Form. I loved it! It was the one thing I really missed when I moved away from that area, and I haven't been able to find a class nearby since then

We just started one last week. Better instructor than last time. If you aren't starting in the beginning and you aren't quick to pick up on moves it can be somewhat frustrating. It does click eventually. I like it because it is great for balance and meditative and graceful - after clicking of course.

Yppej
    It's offered at my senior center but I am not old enough to attend. Commercial classes in my area are expensive.

Thanks for the comments!
    I was under the impression that Tai chi was very safe and gentle - I'll have to keep aware of my body signals. I've hurt myself doing yoga before.
    Doesn't sound like anyone found it dull - that's good!

I've been doing the short form for about two years. Our teacher is excellent, and can give good advice about how to avoid injury. Almost everyone in our class is over 55, so moving safely and correctly, e.g., avoiding overly extending knees, is emphasized continually.

It's taught me to be patient with myself, and given me many moments when my brain shuts down and allows my body to "remember" what comes next, where this hand and that foot is placed, etc.

I enjoy it very much and don't like missing a class. It's a practice, and not just exercise.

I think the teacher makes a huge difference. I've had 3 different teachers in 3 different towns. Parts of the class can be dull, because it moves so slowly. But overall, I love it. It's a "moving meditation" that can quiet my mind (which is not easy for me). It's been scientifically proven to improve balance and reduce falls, which is important as we age. And the people you meet are so interesting! I would say finish the whole course, at least 6-12 weeks, before you even decide if you like it or not....it's so different that you need that long before you even know what's going on.

For added pleasure, try chai tea after Tai Chi.

Thread Information