Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disputing a late fee??

disputing a late fee??

Against my better judgement, I charged some new bed linens from JCP as we were having company and the bedding was kind of shabby. I don't normally buy from big box retailers nor do I normally pay by check (my mistake again) but I mailed a payment in full six days before the due date. The statement I just received has a late fee of $27 on the $31 payment. What recourse do I have and why do I have to submit to their unfair ways of earning revenue? Consumer hell...

I would simply call them up and explain that you mailed it in good time and it posted later than expected. That you've been a customer for a long time with a perfect record and would they waive the late fee just once. If they say no, say, "In that case, please cancel my card."

In my experience they'll give you a mulligan.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd also check your bank and see when the check cleared. It may be that they deposited it but for whatever reason dragged their feet on crediting your account.

Yes do call them. If you have a good record, they should waive the fee. I've done this a time or two when I just goofed, and they waived the fee with no push-back.

Yes they should waive it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'd also check your bank and see when the check cleared. It may be that they deposited it but for whatever reason dragged their feet on crediting your account.
    I would do this first, as I expect them posting it, may be delayed due to the holidays, and better to be armed with that, in case of push back.

As it turned out, they wouldn't talk to me as the account is in DHs name. So...I coached DH on how to be a nice guy awhen he called to request a waive of late fee. I think it worked.

Good deal! Usually, if it doesn't happen often, places will waive the late fee. Good job on coaching DH. I think often being the nice guy is the way to go (at least at first!)

I had a late fee slapped onto my trash removal bill for a check that somehow got delayed in the mail for a couple of weeks. It took about 5 minutes on the phone to get the fee removed.

The times that I was a little late on a bill, I just called them and explained things and they removed the fee.

Thread Information