Thread: Have you experienced psych benefits from living a simplified life?

Have you experienced psych benefits from living a simplified life?

My name is Jeremy—I am a psychology doctoral student at Marquette University. I’m seeking participants for my dissertation, which seeks to describe the experience of individuals who have voluntarily adopted simpler lifestyles that have resulted in enhanced psychological functioning/well-being. Participation would involve completing some brief paperwork and a roughly 60-minute (estimated time) recorded phone interview. You will be compensated $20 via gift card for your participation; alternatively, I will donate $20 on your behalf to a charity of your choice. This study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Marquette University.

To participate, you need have adopted a simpler lifestyle for at least one year, and have experienced psychological/well-being benefit(s) from adopting the lifestyle.

If interested in participating, or if you have questions about this study, please message me on this forum or contact me by email at: jeremy.connelly@mu.edu

Thank you for considering this request.

Your subject interests me. But the phone interview doesn’t. Too complicated and time consuming. Hopefully some others will sign up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Your subject interests me. But the phone interview doesn’t. Too complicated and time consuming. Hopefully some others will sign up!
    As a market researcher who has conducted thousands upon thousands of interviews, I just want to say that 60 minute interviews go fast. They are typically just like conversations, and some people enjoy sharing their experiences. Some do it for as little as $5 compensation.

I would love to participate, but I'm still a simple-living wannabe in many areas of my life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As a market researcher who has conducted thousands upon thousands of interviews, I just want to say that 60 minute interviews go fast. They are typically just like conversations, and some people enjoy sharing their experiences. Some do it for as little as $5 compensation.

I would love to participate, but I'm still a simple-living wannabe in many areas of my life.
    you should participate! Your great little Vermont place and your happiness with it, and downsizing in it, gives you cred!

I participated in a health study through my insurance company a few years ago. Three or four 20 minute phone calls spread over eight months time and I was rewarded with $100 gift card. It wasn’t worth it. My schedule is so full that any extra thing on it just irritates me. That might change once I’m retired but right now I’m still working at least 50 hours a week and my downtime is precious.

IL: Thank you for reminding me of my progress! I hope to make more in 2019!!

Tammy: Definitely if it's not worth your time, don't participate. I was just trying not to discourage others from participating. Everyone can learn from the experiences that the OP is trying to report on.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Thank you for your interest. I am interested in interviewing anyone who has derived well-being/psychological benefits from simplifying their lives, not necessarily those who have simplified every possible aspect of their life. So, if still interested feel free to send me an email ay jeremy.connelly@marquette.edu. If not, thank you for the positive sentiments and have a great Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    An hour interview is certainly not in the cards for everyone, but thank you for your interest none-the-less.
    Last edited by Tranquil!; 12-30-18 at 5:24pm.

Hi again folks. I am still hoping to interview one more participant if anyone is interested. If so, please email me at jeremy.connelly@marquette.edu

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!

I have completed the recruitment for this study. Thanks to those have expressed interest and thank you all for allowing me to post on your forum!

Thread Information