Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Organizing the rest of our lives

When we move to Hermann we would sell all city properties. In fact, we are selling our tiny houses next spring because we no longer need that land.

razz, DH does have of course tons of tools.That’s why I’m giving him the basement in Hermann but I fear he will junk it up with all kinds of other stuff. For instance he already has a used stove, a used refrigerator, and a used freezer down there and he’s thinking in his little mind “canning kitchen. “. I am rolling my eyes at that. But whatever.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-1-19 at 5:24pm.

IL, I think your husband is worse than mine)

At 57, we're mostly done downsizing. The cabin is easy to maintain. Minimal furniture here just to suit our needs. We have a well stocked kitchen that is perfect. Why? Because I designed and hubby built every cupboard and drawer along with the 36*84824 pantry. I love it. 1200sf is plenty here. I have a quilting space and he has a shop we built out the backdoor a few years ago.

Our city home is 1850sf. it could be smaller but it isn't and we've been there 27y. It's paid for and it serves us well. There too we have minimal furniture and a well stocked kitchen. I have adequate quilting space and there lives my mid-arm quilting machine (in the living room with my upright grand piano. If there were anything still to downsize, it would be clothing. I'm not trendy at all and I buy quality so there it hangs. Every summer I think I'll get rid of 3/4 of it, but I don't.

Like you IL, no children. Who knows who will go through it all when the last of us goes. The cabin goes to my youngest nephew in our will. The city house? hmmmmm......

interesting discussion.

So, Today. Financial reckoning. It is 2019.

We here in the Iris Lily household have arguments about money but it isnt the conventional arguments we have.Hence, this is why this post is in the “organizing your life” thread, not the reckoning thread. Our arguements are about organizing the information about our assets and are NOT about spending.

The following is my opinion of course and is not objective.

DH takes a micro approach to our financial life.He handles the day to day stuff. While I value his focus on details for that (and bless him, he caught errors from our bank !) I am not interested in that micro view. I want the managerial overview.

I was the one who 25 years ago asked that we record our assets in a summary document. It is a essentially a list of our current assets with some generic account numbers; it also includes a snapshot of the value of our assets from 1993 until now and also inclues contact infor for all of our accounts.

When our estate attorney worked with our assets she said this was the best summary she had seen on a long time. Yaya, me! I do love me some organization.

more....later. We are not done.

Iris, we have what we call the "Life Book". It has summary records from the 80s with our initial goals, yearly summary statements, future goals and things such as major purchases and spending amounts. It also includes our budgets, past, present and future. Our financial adviser also said it was a great organized set of records and they were able to jump right to recommendations rather than dealing with the details

I love seeing how far we have come. We are currently at twice our original goal.

Holy smoke, your two posts about longterm financial records puts me to shame. We went from no money to a little money to some money saved but good real estate choices that were always fully paid off ASAP and no debt. That was our financial budget and goal.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just updated our financials yesterday and today. Income/expenses for 2018 and net worth statement. I keep about three years worth but don't see the sense in keeping (for us) more than that other than for a historical perspective. I keep monthly running tabs for major categories like groceries, utilities, savings etc. I like to see how much more is spent in a category so a few years provides comparison info and I can adjust for goals.

Continuing with finances and their organization...

Two years ago we had our will and trust done by an attorney. For the past two years I have been getting all of our property and assets into the trust. Yes it has taken two years, not because we have tons of assets but because we have tons of accounts. It is very stupid, the number of accounts we had.

So in this process we did end up closing accounts and cashing out some investments in order to simplify it all. But I am left with one kind of investment now, 6 figures in DH’s former company stock. The stock is represented by stock certificates which are kept in our safe that is seldom locked, but when it is locked I don’t know how to get it unlocked. This investment causes me grief because we cant get the stocks signed over to our trust because—I just dont know why. Two years of this process, and I am done with it, I give up and will leave this stock as is, in DH’s name. If we die our executor will have to fk endlessly with it.

The only reason we haven’t cashed it in is because it makes money, it’s a very strong stock. Then DH yells at me about how only he knows about the cost basis of each certificate and there are about 15 of them and yada yadda.

This financial asset makes a mockery of my otherwise semi organized record and it is a disorganized mess.

I'm beginning to sniff around the idea of finding or building a 1200 sq. ft cabin here on the island, and ditching the 4000+ sq. ft. home I am now the sole year-round occupant of.

PInkytoe: we dont keep physical records but when it is on the computer, it is easy to keep and update.

Razz: We were always looking towards retirement and a long life. I based mine projections on the fact both my parents were hale and hearty.

We have radically different finance ideas. Husband took over details and agreement was he would be able to provide the details and summaries whenever I felt I needed to see them. We started reviewing once a month and after so many years we do it now once a year.

Thread Information