Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian celebration foods?

I made a vegan paella last night. Everyone enjoyed it, and DD ask if she can have leftovers for breakfast!

I've been craving channa masala. That's a good vegetarian dish.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Cheese to me is celebration, so for some versions of vegetarianism. Scalloped potatoes or a potato gratin is celebratory (not health fare for sure, but celebration foods).

A good pesto pasta is celebratory to me (but out of season). Some Mediterranean appetizers are fairly celebratory like baba ganoush but out of season there too.
    Trees don't grow on money

For me, celebration food is your favorite food. One of my brothers celebrates with steak, I tend to celebrate with cake.

When they were younger and came to stay with me for a week or more, my niece and nephew always wanted the same menu for their first meal at my house--hot dogs, mac and cheese from a box, and peas. (Menu was approved by their mom; it consisted of things they almost never, ever ate at home, except for the peas.) One time my nephew said, "This is how we know we aren't at home anymore! We get to eat the good stuff!" A little mini celebration.

At some point in my childhood, my mother started baking a cake for dessert for Friday dinner, to celebrate the end of the school/work week. Frequently, she'd make the cake earlier in the week when she had the time and then freeze it. And then she'd forget to take the cake out of the freezer on time. Semi-frozen cake still brings back fond memories for me.

I think any meal that has a couple of your favorite dishes in it can count as celebration food. Double points if the food is difficult/time consuming to make, because that tends to mean that you have it less often.

When in doubt, I'd ask the person the celebration is for to list their favorite foods or a favorite menu, and work from that.

I'm also vegeterian and I love to make asian food. I slice different kinds of vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes,eggplants, onions and pepper with my kitchen master slicer and put it on the oven.

Vichyssoisse on the 4th of Jjulyy

Late to the party but many years ago when I was a vegetarian my husband took me to a really nice restaurant for our anniversary. They served me a gorgeous roasted vegetable Napoleon on a bed of a light roasted tomato sauce. It was beautiful, festive, and I am sure a lot of work to make!

Thread Information