Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Sorry you are sick Yppej and hope you are better soon.
    Here is an unfrugal related to health care. DH had a script for an antibiotic from his dentist (abscess and needs root canal, which of course means $$$). He went to CVS and apparently waited and waited and saw them taking people who arrived after him. He ended up having somewhat angry words with a clerk and said he would take his business elsewhere, which he did, to Walgreen's which is not in our network. Luckily it was not a really expensive medication, but it cost $13.00 instead the couple of bucks it would have cost otherwise.

Yppej
    He sounds like me!

Jan07,08,09,10,11
    --7th was a no spend day, eat from freezer day
    --8th was a Costco run only bought special that will be needed
    in the next while. One of my lowest Costco ever...win
    --Started eye drops for tomorrows Cataract Surgery..3 types only 1 covered but not
    a bad price for the rest. And, well worth.
    --Surgery today, friend drove and I did give her a Thank you gift card and money for lunch
    Everything went really well and I am glad it is over. This was the Right Eye, Left in March.
    --Quiet day in the house, was told not to drive for 48 hours.
    Being in all day made for a no spend day. Ate from pantry and fridge...not like there isn't lots there...lol
    --watched more Netflix Good British shows on Gardens, Sewing, and one on Super Frugal folks, I did say
    I had a very quiet day in the house....lol...was very tried after yesterday and feeling better now.

Yppej
    The flu killed my appetite so I am not going for groceries this weekend as I still have almost all of last week's food left.

My SO drank milk yesterday with a Best-Used-By date of Dec. 27th and he didn't get sick. Frugal or risky? either way it turned out okay. Not something I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    ----Surgery today, friend drove and I did give her a Thank you gift card and money for lunch
    Everything went really well and I am glad it is over. This was the Right Eye, Left in March.
    --I had a very quiet day in the house....lol...was very tried after yesterday and feeling better now.
    danna,
    glad to hear everything went well with your eye surgery. I helped a relative with the same thing early last year and he's also glad he did it. Thank goodness for modern medicine, right?

Thank you Lainey. Yes, thank goodness for modern medicine. With so much improvement in my vision
    already more today. I now am anxiously awaiting the left eye. And, the care was excellent.

So glad your eye surgery turned out so well, Danna.
    We had a big frugal (I think) this month. Traded in our 2001 Yukon with 294000 miles in for a 2008 Kia with 155000 miles. We were buying off the whole sale lot. The dealer gave us 1500 trade in on the Yuk and we paid 2400 for the Kia. We then went to our mechanic, who wanted 3600 to fix the things wrong with the KIA. Went back to dealer and showed him the estimates and he did all the work, plus a strut they did not notice, for 2600. So we saved around 1200-1300 by calling the dealer and pricing out the work.

The mechanic seemed really high to me--I looked at the 1000 for timing belt replacement and that's when I decided to call the dealer.

Plus the dealer gave my husband a loaner and I did not have to drive in the snowstorm to drop the car off.

We knew Yuk needed a 500 repair soon. Just did a 450 dollar repair. Now the new car runs like a top and all in, cost 5000, but we know what was wrong with it and fixed it, unlike a 5000 car that you don't know what is wrong with, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So glad your eye surgery turned out so well, Danna.
    We had a big frugal (I think) this month. Traded in our 2001 Yukon with 294000 miles in for a 2008 Kia with 155000 miles. We were buying off the whole sale lot. The dealer gave us 1500 trade in on the Yuk and we paid 2400 for the Kia. We then went to our mechanic, who wanted 3600 to fix the things wrong with the KIA. Went back to dealer and showed him the estimates and he did all the work, plus a strut they did not notice, for 2600. So we saved around 1200-1300 by calling the dealer and pricing out the work.

The mechanic seemed really high to me--I looked at the 1000 for timing belt replacement and that's when I decided to call the dealer.

Plus the dealer gave my husband a loaner and I did not have to drive in the snowstorm to drop the car off.

We knew Yuk needed a 500 repair soon. Just did a 450 dollar repair. Now the new car runs like a top and all in, cost 5000, but we know what was wrong with it and fixed it, unlike a 5000 car that you don't know what is wrong with, if that makes sense.
    Wow! Congrats! Everyone is getting a new car here! Even BIL finally bought a new-to-him car because his 2000 car needs too much for to fix.

Tybee, I can't believe you have almost 300k on the Yukon! And it was still worth that much! You guys must have taken really good care of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sorry you're sick, yeppj. Hubby is down too - he's got pneumonia. Never had a fever, but definitely got a rattle when breathing. He went to the DOC on Tuesday, and she wanted to hospitalized him. He said no, but is still lounging in his pjs today, so it hit him hard .

Frugal part of this has been eating from home storage. Did a good but of pantry shopping.

Thread Information