Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Yppej

January Frugals

I downgraded my AAA from Plus to Basic. The major change is if I need to be towed more than 3 miles I have to pay, but that hasn't happened recently and I got a full sized spare tire mounted on a rim to replace the inflation kit that came with the car.

Some of my New Year's resolutions are financial so I will be working on them as well.

I was invited out for a New Year's brunch this morning. A friend and I split a BLT so we both saved. I love having friends who are comfortable inviting me out and/or are willing to split a dish on the spur of the moment so free to spend as much as we wish.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Went to California to pick up our new dog and stayed at a motel 6. It was clean and remodeled. The woman that gave us the dog was shocked we stayed there. Saved us 40.

We have a new "job lot" store that opened near us, and they have strange promotions. They have specials every week which, if you purchase them, you get a gift card for the exact same amount of the purchase!! So, we spent $92 on various things we needed, but we got back $43 in a gift card that we can go back today or any time and redeem. And the store has tons of stuff on sale all the time, so it's not like you're spending more there than you would anywhere else. I got 5 boxes of College Inn Organic chicken broth "free", and we got 4 6-packs of AA and AAA batteries "free." DH got two pairs of readers "free." We don't get how they can do that--we assume it's these items are like big loss leaders. But as I said, we'll be happy to go back there for the cheap groceries or basic home items.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Went to California to pick up our new dog and stayed at a motel 6. It was clean and remodeled. The woman that gave us the dog was shocked we stayed there. Saved us 40.
    new dog! Must know details!

I could’ve sworn that you have declared here there will be no more new dogs in your household. Ha ha, maybe I’m wrong maybe that is someone else.

IL, no that was me. I have failed. 3 months ago I was offered Max’s half sister Trixie for free. She was a 3 yo retired show dog. We only had her for 5 weeks and she woke up one morning holding her neck funny. Despite taking her to the vet every day for 5 days they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Finally the breeder sent us to UC Davis where the vet school is and animal ER never closes. They couldn’t save her. I allowed a autopsy and she died from GME. It’s rare and vaccines are thought to p trigger it if you are prone to it. It usually happens a month after the rabies vaccine. I allowed her brain samples to be sent to Georgia for a nation wide study. We were heartbroken as was max. My 2 other dogs are very old. So she offered us Amy a 5yo retired champion Maltese also Max’s half sister. The new plan is when the older ones die be happy with 2. Max and Amy will never have another vaccine. This is the first dog with this disease in her line and she has quit breeding.

Catherine: Is that Ocean State Job Lot? We have them in our area and they have "Crazy Deals," which sound exactly like what you are describing. They are my favorite discount store. In the summer, they have the best prices on bug spray and they have the best garden gloves ever for $2.99, and only $1.99 when they are on special. I've tried a lot of garden gloves over the years, including expensive goatskin, and OSJL's are the very best! They also have frequent deals on all Bob's Red Mills products.
    I guess we started the new year in frugal mode. We took an early morning walk, and then DH helped me take photos for some items to list on eBay. We had blueberry cornmeal pancakes for breakfast, which felt pretty indulgent.

TT: Congratulations on the new pup!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Catherine: Is that Ocean State Job Lot? We have them in our area and they have "Crazy Deals," which sound exactly like what you are describing. They are my favorite discount store. In the summer, they have the best prices on bug spray and they have the best garden gloves ever for $2.99, and only $1.99 when they are on special. I've tried a lot of garden gloves over the years, including expensive goatskin, and OSJL's are the very best! They also have frequent deals on all Bob's Red Mills products.
    Yes, rosa! That's exactly the store and I love it for the same reasons you do! Haven't tested the bug spray yet, but they have a huge selection of Red Mills products! I just went there to get bags to put my decluttered stuff in, and I got a box of 25 heavy duty construction bags, a can of Bar Harbor clam chowder, New York flatbreads and a soy sauce and with one of my gift cards the bill came to $2.84.

BTW, I'm stocking up on the Bar Harbor clam juice. I use it in a cioppino recipe I make frequently and it's only $1.75 ($2.99 in the supermarket). Great store!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh, sorry to hear about the doggie dewth. They are all over vaccinated.

retired show dogs are nice. They are beautiful and well behaved.

Thread Information