Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Previously we did a lot of rescue work. Took old neglected dogs and puppy mill dogs. Having max, Trix and Amy have been a real treat. We were devastated by Trixie death. I am sure Amy will help us heal. Most breeders sell their retirees but she just wants them to get a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Previously we did a lot of rescue work. Took old neglected dogs and puppy mill dogs. Having max, Trix and Amy have been a real treat. We were devastated by Trixie death. I am sure Amy will help us heal. Most breeders sell their retirees but she just wants them to get a good home.
    I'm sorry about your loss, Terry. Nothing worse than losing a dog, but I'm happy you were able to give another a good home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks everyone. It was so hard because she was only 3. Much easier when a old dog dies. We are lucky to get her last dog since she is retiring.

My older vet cautioned me about current vaccines as it would be too potent for the dog. From what I understood, dogs need certain vaccines but too many combinations today are the problem. I took his advice and did the basic and minimum frequency as required to assure public safety and the dog's well-being.
    Sorry to hear of your young dog's passing so soon.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What I found out is once dogs have all their first year shots they likely are immune for life. You can titer them yearly to confirm. Also they give a 200 lb dog the same amount of rabies vaccine that you give a 5lb dog. Law here requires a rabies shot. The vet has me sign a waiver so they aren’t in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What I found out is once dogs have all their first year shots they likely are immune for life. You can titer them yearly to confirm. Also they give a 200 lb dog the same amount of rabies vaccine that you give a 5lb dog. Law here requires a rabies shot. The vet has me sign a waiver so they aren’t in trouble.
    That is interesting to read. Thanks.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I never knew any of this before.

Sorry to hear Terry.
    I am planning on doing some yard work this year so would like to save up over the winter.
    Then I would not dip into savings.
    So for today
    --I ate all leftover from my company that left yesterday. Always cook too much....lol
    --Having Dsisinlaw for dinner tomorrow so cooked up chicken from freezer and made up
    a rice, a macaroni, and been salad and will have a bunch of veggie sides.
    No shopping for this meal.
    Will have leftovers to send home with her and lots for us too.
    --did not leave the house to drive or shop.
    --finished all my 2018 spreadsheets and used the information to makeup new ones for 2019.
    Best Wishes to you all for a Healthy, Safe and Peaceful 2019!

--

Yppej
    DS took me to Ikea for Christmas and I didn't like any of them home decor items so I got some Swedish food. It is pretty filling and helping with the grocery budget.

sorry about your doggy, TT. Yppej, I love Ikea, esp. food and linens. Also like some of their kitchen items. DH has wanted a french press forever, and we got a nice one there for about half of what they cost online. We spent New Year's Day watching my dad's slides. Huge project, all mixed up - magazines/trays went from airshows/fly-ins from the 50s, to me as baby and then as teen, bear hunts, fishing trips, orchids from Dad's greenhouse.... it's like they were dumped on the floor, picked up, and stuck into the slide magazines. We laughed a lot. Airplane, airplane, baby picture, dead deer, airplane, Dsis graduation, airplane, formal garden, airplane, zinnias, cactus, airplane, airplane.... DB helped with aircraft identification, so we know more of what/where/when, and can send some pix to current owners (when we know them). We've been meaning to do this since Mom died - I brought all the slides, pix, etc home and am not willing to discard until my DB and DSIS have gone through them with me. Also, they are much older than I (13 and 15 yrs) and can help w/ID of people/places that I don't remember. So, big part of big project out of the way and a day of fun and memories at the same time! I'm going to get a slide scanner for the computer so I can scan, save, and email them, and hopefully pass on the slides/magazines/projector/screen. DB brought pizza and we had left over frozen volcano cakes for dessert. A lovely and frugal fun day. Today I took off work and we're combining a trip to the state capital (90 miles out) to deliver a cupboard to our 2nd child, and have our last holiday outing - a Chinese lantern festival (we love this, it's our third year running). My best friend from HS is also going to be there with her husband and the two grandkids they have adopted, so we're planning to meet up. We talk on the phone several times a year, but this will be the first time we've seen each other in person for several years, so I'm excited! Not exactly frugal, but it's a three-fer (delivery, festival, friend!) so it's SORT of frugal, lol.

Thread Information