Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for W2

Waiting for W2

Am I the only one who estimates my income tax refund while waiting for W2 by using my last paycheck stub of the year?

Nope, already done my taxes (estimated) via paystub and current (and guestimate) of interest.
    As usual, refund, and planning on putting towards the property taxes next year.

Husband has already started to enter the information into Turbotax. But as always it will be Feb. before we get a big investment 1099 and can finalize it. He tends to obsess over the whole process.

I tried to do that in mid-December because I needed to see if I needed to buy more supplies for my jewelry business before the end of the year. I got stuck on the ACA subsidy question because I don't have the document for it yet.

I used to always do that when we were expecting a refund. After our refund was stolen a few years ago, I changed our withholding to err on the side of us needing to pay, so that there would not be a refund to steal in the future (take that, bad guys!!). That definitely removed the eagerness factor. I'm also in new territory, with 2018 being my first full year of retirement, so I'm just going to wait for the necessary documents to arrive. I am curious to see the impact of the taxation changes.

I just do it by hand with the form for the guesstimate. I file with TurboTax online.

I estimated our taxes on a spreadsheet earlier this year because I wanted to know where we stood with the new tax laws. Still not sure; guess I won't know until I actually file the return.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

2018 was my first full year of Social Security, so I'll be waiting on their form for me to file my taxes.

Like beckyliz, I'm wondering how it's all going to turn out given the new standard deduction of $12,000 for singles.

Yppej
    I do paper returns but can't call the IRS for my forms because they are shut down. State forms are not ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    2018 was my first full year of Social Security, so I'll be waiting on their form for me to file my taxes.

Like beckyliz, I'm wondering how it's all going to turn out given the new standard deduction of $12,000 for singles.
    i did a rough estimate last night and the formula for taxable amount of SS seems to be more advantageous than
    last years. the standard deduction increase is going to probably help a LOT of folks! i'm pretty critical of the prez
    but i also believe in giving credit when credit is due. thanks Donald!
    jim

Thread Information