Thread: emotional responses to losing weight

emotional responses to losing weight

So I have plateaued a little on the weight loss over the holidays. Even my retreat had sweets at it! We got even more cookies today from a family that are homemade.

However I have not gained weight either which is good. I noticed in the long mirror that I still have lumps a little, but that you can see my figure more. As I go back to the very low sugar it is likely that I will lose more middle lumps, and then with just well fitting clothes my shape (larger chested) will show naturally. I am not losing any weight there. And I had an eek! moment. Like being nervous about looking attractive, I really thought this only happened to people who lost like 100 lbs,

Yeah another therapy topic if the feeling persists!

I've been up and down weight-wise my entire life. I've read and experienced it can take 6-12 months for our brains/feelings to catch up with our body's new size or weight. Also, some of us feel more vulnerable as others give use more attention because of the new shape of our bodies. keep working through it - congrats on the hard work!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I've read and experienced it can take 6-12 months for our brains/feelings to catch up with our body's new size or weight.
    I find when I'm shopping for "new" clothes I still default to picking out the size I wore for years. It hasn't yet sunk in that I'm a size or two smaller -- until I put the clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Also, some of us feel more vulnerable as others give use more attention because of the new shape of our bodies
    I am always pleased when people notice I've lost a lot of weight, but it is interesting that the people who say that are not necessarily the ones who haven't seen me in a long time. One friend didn't realize it until he saw some old pictures of me. I don't know as I'm drawing any more attention from anyone for having lost the weight. But then I'm reaching that "invisible" age...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've never had a weight problem. Until I was 30 I was super skinny. THen for some reason I added about 15 pounds and that's where I've been for 20 years now. A couple of months ago we had a insurance broker/client event at the office and one of the brokers I've worked with for years commented on how great I looked and asked if I'd lost weight. Apparently my khaki pants are slimming... Even though I hadn't gone through any change this was still a kind of jarring incident. My first thought was "OMG. what was broker's previous perception of me?"

Similarly I have a friend who had been overweight much of his adult life. About 15 years ago he lost around 80 pounds. So he pulled out the clothes he'd worn in college back in the early 80's and started wearing them again. He was thrilled that he could fit into them, but geez, they looked horrible because... the 80's... (sorry LDAHL, I know you loved the 80's but the clothing and hair styles were abysmal.) Several of us had to gently explain to him that he'd feel just as awesome if he bought new, currently stylish, clothes in his new size.

So I can see why this is emotional. Our perceptions of ourselves are actually pretty delicate and any changes, even for the better, or non-changes for the non-worse can be fraught.

Thank you guys, i am just getting back on track with sugar again and tracking food. I am more settled in this weight now, it makes sense that we have to take some time to get used to a new weight and how it feels. I think about kids who are growing fast and bump into everything.

It is interesting since i think of myself as someone who doesn't care what people think however we DO notice each other no matter what.

Thread Information