Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 months, 3 questions

Unfortunately they won’t take bags of little short pieces of insulation - too much patchwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Idea for donation - around here, habitat fur humanity accepts any amount of home improvement stuff left over from new projects, or reusable older stuff from the what is removed from a house.
    They're pickier than that around here. Don't know if it's local housing codes (which are stricter than many places) or what, but there's a lot they won't take here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Tea
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

1) what is the ultimate destininy of this item?
    (trash, compost, recycling, burn)
    2) if trash, do I currently need/want it?
    3) if no - can it be donated and used by someone else? Yes - donate, no - throw away now.
    Good questions to ask for de-cluttering, but it's even better to ask #1 before even making a purchase, so if the answer is trash we can look for an alternative at that point. For example when I had a furnace I used filters made from natural fibers, which could be composted or burned when it was time to replace them. Believe it or not they were slightly cheaper than the polyester version, still could be cleaned and reused several times, and are supposedly better at filtering small contaminants like mold from the air. It's almost odd that the artificial kind is even still on the market - who wants to pay EXTRA just to get something that does a worse job, then ultimately ends up trash? I don't know if they make them in the right size for your particular HVAC system, but it might be something to look in to since it sounds like you really care about your landfill footprint. Sometimes purchasing things that will ultimately end up trash is unavoidable, but any small change we can make helps.

Tea, those sound cool. Where did you find them, the natural furnace filters?

I used question number one at the Goodwill yesterday, CL--decided I did not want to take on the drinking glasses that were for my son's birthday. Birthday is not until May, and not sure if he would like them,.

I used to want all my wine glasses to match. But as they have broken I am just using what I have. Also you see a lot of 2 matching in thrift stores probably because the rest are broken. When so do have to buy some I will do it that way.

Tea
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Tea, those sound cool. Where did you find them, the natural furnace filters?
    I think they came from Menards, but it could have been Lowes instead. Definitely one of the two, but it's been about five years now since I've needed them. One brand was NaturalAire by Flanders Corp which was a dark green filter. There was another brand I actually preferred because it was un-dyed fibers, but I can't remember the name of it now. (I was only able to check the name of the first because I still have extra blankets stored in the bag they came in, and thought, "Didn't I just see the bag from that somewhere?")

Huh. I was unaware that such a thing existed, and we do have a menards. It’s a weird accordion shape with hard plastic rectangles on both ends that fit into slots though. The hvac system is dh bailiwick.

I generally do ask what is going to happen to things after I buy them (and have made “sacrifices” such as not buying certain foods or never going back to a restaurant I liked that was good, cheap, and nearby but served everything with disposable tableware) but raising three kids who had hand me down toys produced as early as the 70s, and often required me to choose cheap, fast, and easy, created a bit of a backlog.

Thread Information