Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's coming, Who's going?

Who's coming, Who's going?

This is always an interesting annual report from United Van Lines: it gives in-migration and out-migration patterns in each state.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...nteractive-map

It confirmed for me that I'm not a very unique person--at least where moving is concerned. The state with the greatest percentage of people MOVING OUT is New Jersey; the state with the greatest percentage of people MOVING IN is Vermont.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting, thanks for posting.

I must say that Vermont is a bit of a surprise. I wonder what accounts for it?

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Interesting, thanks for posting.

I must say that Vermont is a bit of a surprise. I wonder what accounts for it?
    This what a related article said:

Specifically, the majority of moves to Vermont were for a company transfer or new job opportunity (34%). Vermont companies hold pride in their commitment to employees and community. They’re well-known for their progressive maternity and paternity leave policies and donations to charitable causes. Environmental sustainability is also very important to businesses in Vermont. So, if any of these benefits are of interest to you, Vermont may be the place to move.

Following very close behind, retirement was the next most popular reason to move at 31%. Vermont’s cost of living is very low, which in part is due to the overall low population of the state (Alaska actually has more people!). This factor is very important to retirees who have a limited income and are looking for a state that will help stretch their money further.

It’s no wonder the Green Mountain State is so inviting to movers. Between its beautiful displays of the four seasons and many lakeside communities, new Vermonters find themselves immersed in a culture that accommodates all interests, especially those involving outdoor activities.

I moved/am moving there for family and retirement, and because I love the culture and the scenery (unobstructed by billboards which are illegal in VT). For some reason, when I cross the state line from VT to NY, I just think VT cities and towns are so much cuter and the people cooler. Probably just perception, but as they say in marketing, "perception is reality."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I love maps - interesting info

Yppej
    Saw on the news you can get $10,000 if you move to Vermont. My son said if they up it to $100,000.00 he will go. But he actually would not qualify for the program. The state is facing issues from an aging population.

I heard that is a program for people who work from home, but maybe it is for more than that? My husband was interested in Vermont for that reason.

We are one of the top 5 for people moving in. I didn’t realize Vermont was cheap to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I heard that is a program for people who work from home, but maybe it is for more than that? My husband was interested in Vermont for that reason.
    From what I've read, yes, you have to work from home for an out of state employer, and you get $5,000 per year for two years. Not sure how they verify, but for someone that does lower income employment (like work from home phone support) and is looking to get a little boost in income, it sounds like a cool scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We are one of the top 5 for people moving in. I didn’t realize Vermont was cheap to live.
    In my experience, it's cheap for the NE. Housing is quite affordable--at least compared to NJ, but it goes up in the cities and ski centers. According to Zillow, the median home price in NJ is $323 compared to $202 in VT (and $222 for US as a whole). My auto insurance will be cut in half.

Perception of cheap is so different!

Coming from rural Ohio - 100,000 bought you a big older house in the country with an acre or two in a good school district. In Phienix we spent 150,000 on a tiny house in an older neighborhood with homeless shelters nearby. We refused to spend more.

Thread Information