Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping up with fashion

Keeping up with fashion

Is it me or does the world seem to be choosing the strangest things?

Fashion, for one, seems to be driving peculiar choices but maybe this is not that unusual. Men wore high heels long before women started wearing them and leotards.

A friend said that she was looking for a turtleneck but couldn't find any as they were no longer in fashion. The fact that they keep one warm is apparently not important.

Another friend asked if I was concerned about not having the skinny style of legs on long pants as they are the fashion. (I didn't buy any stovepipe when they had their moment in the sun and my modest cords will do me just fine.) The skinny style certainly is not kind to those with some extra weight but that is what is available.

I like berets as winter headgear. If I need to cover my ears with the hearing aids, berets work wonderfully well and one could colour match. There are no berets anywhere so I knit myself one. People have been wearing berets for years. What put them out of fashion?

I see teens and younger wearing jeans where they seem to be badly torn and have little holding them together. A friend advised me that these type of jeans are the most costly.

I look at little girls clothes and they are so skimpy today.

If you check out dining sets, the chairs have no crossbars to stabilize the feet so the joints quickly get loose with use. I see them in the thrift shops now as people discard and replace. People are buying them because there are few alternatives.

What odd things are you seeing?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Those ridiculous ripped jeans--it almost goes without saying. They were laugh-worthy the first time around twenty years ago.
    If you think ripped jeans are hot, rip your own, and save.

That's why I like thrift stores--you can find "unfashionable" (read classic) clothes while saving money.
    I like straight leg ("mom") jeans--I always have. No one really looks good in "skinny" jeans, which at best look like you're all butt.

My DD tries to keep me on track, but usually to no avail. She was shocked when I was wearing a fashionable pair of Banana Republic casual pants last summer--she even remarked to my son, "Mom's pants fit her so well!" meaning I usually wear pants that are too baggy or too clingy.

I had seen the pants at a deep discount while on a business trip, and tried them on. I HATE buying pants because they never fit right, so when these did, I bought three pair. So I sure hope they stay in style for at least another year, and if the pants are still wearable in 3 years, I'll be out of style again.

I wear turtlenecks all winter. I had no idea they weren't in fashion. But I have swapped out my little sweater sets with buttoned cardigans to the shawl-like beneath the butt type of sweater, which I like. I hope they're in style.

Both my DDIL and DD depend heavily on black leggings and/or tights, and they wear dresses, not pants, and clunky shoes. I have to say, they always look good.

My mother was very stylish, and her saying was "If you wore it once, you can't wear it again." Which means my daughter can get away with wearing a Mary Quant dress, or a gauzy blouse with macrame ties, but I'm not allowed because I've been there/done that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My mom was fashionable but I don’t really care.

This is one area where I am happy I am clueless. I keep wearing mostly the same basic lines/styles- the ones that look good on me. I can keep getting them at Lands End or LL Bean or consignment stores, so I'm good. I agree that skinny jeans don't look good on most. and certainly not on me (thighs too proportionally large). I am very curvy, so I don't wear tunics. They just look like a bag on me, but on a thinner person they look good. I wear mostly fitted tops and just below the navel jeans with straight legs. In the summer when I wear skirts/skorts, they are just above the knee. That's me, dowdy and unfashionable- but comfortable and as attractive as possible with my shape and height.

Doesn't seem to me like there is any particular style anymore. Skinny pants, tunics, leggings and athletic wear seem to be prevailing. I am not comfortable in that sort of clothing - makes me feel like Peter Pan - though I get the comfort factor. Now that I am retired, I peruse thrift stores for quality mock/turtlenecks (LL Bean, etc) and a particular style of Levis that disappeared long ago (straight leg) for winter wear since I layer a lot to keep warm. I agree about furniture quality. Trying to find a wood bench for the entry way now and many of the new ones just have four stick legs and no cross bars so once again, looking for an older used one.

Funny you should say that, I am out of town at a family funeral and I was thinking it’s too bad that I am so unfashionable my pants are not skinny and they’re not even straight leg, it is really at unfortunate!

I just wear kilts, nice sweaters, and sensible lingerie.

Timeless.

I just wear kilts, nice sweaters, and sensible lingerie.
    I thought kilts were to be worn without lingerie.

A silly man...

Thread Information