Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping up with fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    My school had an 80s day. The other art teacher dressed as Madonna. She looked at me and said (surprised) “you didn’t dress up!” To which I replied “these are actual clothes that I actually wore in college in the 80s.” She paused a second and then said “you shouldn’t have done that.”

what I would like to be able to buy is a plain white shirt with long sleeves that actually reach my wrists, a front that buttons up past my breasts, a cut that allows me to move my arms freely, a simple collar, and no pockets, made of a fabric that is not semi- or fully transparent. Preferably cotton. It would be really nice if I could tuck it in. If I ever find one, I will buy ten of them.
    Have you tried Duluth Trading? I am a little too short for their clothes, but the reviews for their ladies shirts all say that they have finally found sleeves that go to their wrists, etc. The fabrics are really nice quality.

My daughter's school had an 80's themed mother/daughter dance and I was the only one that sported a double popped collar. The other ladies were envious, but then I realized that I was probably the only mother that was old enough to remember the 80's.

I have seen their catalog before - just checked their site again - “white” isn’t even a search option for color.

Could you have one made? Either locally or on-line where you submit a bunch of measurements?
    I've been collecting white shirts at the thrifts.

I have contemplated it. Dd2’s best friend is actually an amazingly talented seamstress. I have found a source for good quality linen and have vague intentions of having her make me a dress I can never find dresses I like (again, with the long arms and hating 3/4 sleeves) and a skirt (because basically it would be the bottom half of the dress) once I reach two milestones : holding my weight within 5 lbs for a year, and doing a thorough clean out of my clothes.

I am in awe of people who can sew from complicated patterns, and/or make garments that don't look as of they were created "by loving hands at home." I had a work friend who would come in on Mondays in a blazer and slacks she had made over the weekend, and the outfit would be stunning.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we probably don't have too many slaves to fashion on the SLF!
    My goal at work was always to look well groomed and professional. I mostly dressed from Talbot's, which I find to be fashionable enough in a conservative way, but never cutting edge, which suits me just fine. Now that I am a retiree/dog walker/misc, I am much more relaxed about how I dress. I like to be aware enough of fashion so that I don't look hopelessly out of touch, but I mostly wear jeans, sweaters or t-shirts, and hoodies. I am more LL Bean than Talbot's now, and I think that's appropriate for my activities. Of course, there is still plenty of Talbot's in my closet.
    I do think some things like turtlenecks are totally classic and would never be a fashion no-no, although they may wax and wane in popularity. I'm with Iris Lily on them myself, though! I would say the same for berets and white blouses. I struggle with pant legs, though. I know skinny jeans and leggings are hot now, but they look good on almost nobody. So I go more moderate and have shifted from bootleg to straight leg, and that's probably as far as I'll go.
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 1-6-19 at 8:55am.

I bought a short sleeve hoodie because I liked the color and I could wash dishes without hiking the sleeve's up. But the length was long (like a short dress) so I only wear it in the house. I've seen all kinds of men's fashions I want nothing to do with, and my choices get smaller and smaller. I almost think I should buy in bulk and save for the day I can no longer find items a 52 year old man should wear. PS my standard dress is nice jeans or khakis and a solid polo, with a pocket if at all possible. For warmth/ comfort at home, I can't beat a basic hoodie.

[QUOTE=Chicken lady;31834once I reach two milestones : holding my weight within 5 lbs for a year, and doing a thorough clean out of my clothes.[/QUOTE]

i am right now not getting too attached to my clothes since I am losing weight and not sure where i will land. My goal is another 5 to 10 lbs to be really comfortable. So my last Ross trip I got pink skinny jeans! If you all knew me in person you would know that a non-dark color is different, actually a non black clothing item is noticeable.

I love fashion from a distance--European fashion magazines are a particular favorite. Fashion done well is an art form. Done badly, it's supremely silly.

Style is what I'd be aiming for as I'm not built remotely like a mannequin. That said, I like jackets, tees, and the aforementioned mom jeans most of the time. With fab accessories, of course. I think leggings are fine when they're part of a layered ensemble--tunics, dresses, and the like, and they've stood the test of time.

I bet you can still find turtlenecks where you buy ski clothes. I've thrifted numerous mock turtles, and donated many actual ones, which I'm also not built for.

I have successfully avoided wearing jeans for the past few weeks! It is all about various leggings with thrift store skirts and dresses. I don't end up looking "dressy" but I think I actually have a my own personal style going on here. All dresses and skirts are paired with either my black lace-up Chipewa combat-style boots or my ancient brown harness motorcycle boots. Well, actually, when I am in the gallery I just wear my slippers behind the counter. I have also been wearing scarves and headbands to hold my dreads back out of my face, and making a point of wearing all my various jewelry, whether I made it or not.

Recently my boyfriend's son, who is a professional photographer, took some informal portraits of me (before all the snow hit) and he just sent them ~ for the first time in my life I actually feel like I look quite attractive in these photos. He is so good in getting people to look their natural selves with genuine smiles; they are THE BEST photos anyone has ever taken of me. I can also honestly say that I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin - it only took 57 years to feel that way. I am 10 lbs. heavier than when I moved here, but considering all I have been through lately I really don't care about it and I also think I look pretty good with just a touch of extra weight. I guess I finally don't mind looking like a mature woman. If I can figure it out I will replace my profile picture here with the new one.

Thread Information