Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping up with fashion

Quote Originally Posted by thinkgreen View Post
    I didn't know turtlenecks were out. What about boot cut jeans?
    Just yesterday on NPR I heard boot cut jeans were back in style. I was down to one pair of jeans and pretty much wear them daily so went shopping this last week with some Christmas money. Came home with 2 pair of straight,
    1 skinny-ish (for when I wear tall boots), and bootcut-ish (for when I wear western boots). None to the extreme of any of the styles and I finally found jeans that didn't have too much fabric around the thigh area or wrinkly around the knees. Must of tried on 300 pair over the course of 6 days. I'm counting that workout as exercise!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I heard the same program...skinny jeans are out and boot cut are back. I certainly hope so. I've thought that skinny jeans look silly, uncomfortable, and ill fitting for all but the youngest. I am waiting for the day when yoga pants are out.

I haven't worn jeans since I don't know age 25, I learned to dress for work (which was never more than business casual) even on weekends. The closest I have is chinos in light colors, that's somewhat jean-like.
    Trees don't grow on money

DH’s family has a couple of young women who are super pretty. They are super skinny. They wear skinny jeans and all it does is exagerate how skinny they are. Dressed in a classic waynthey could hold their own in NYc or L.A.

So, some of us might be fashion-neutral ourselves, but I actually LOVE to watch the awards shows--for the display of fashion. I do think fashion is a fun form of self-expression and also extremely interesting in a historical/cultural context. I wanted to be a costume designer at one point in my life, and one of my best history term papers ever was on the history of fashion, highlighting the political/social dynamics that influenced fashion at the time.

Anyway, here is a link to some of the stuff you might have seen if you watched the Golden Globes the other night. Any thoughts?

http://www.livingly.com/The+Most+Dar...den+Globes+Red
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, some of us might be fashion-neutral ourselves, but I actually LOVE to watch the awards shows--for the display of fashion. I do think fashion is a fun form of self-expression and also extremely interesting in a historical/cultural context. I wanted to be a costume designer at one point in my life, and one of my best history term papers ever was on the history of fashion, highlighting the political/social dynamics that influenced fashion at the time.

Anyway, here is a link to some of the stuff you might have seen if you watched the Golden Globes the other night. Any thoughts?

http://www.livingly.com/The+Most+Dar...den+Globes+Red
    I love looking to see what creativity can devise. My favourite dresses were # 12 and 33. I am not a fan of mustard yellow no matter how well designed.
    These women do look stunning at all ages and in healthy physical shape as well.

I did a major paper at university on fashion in the Romantic period. I had fallen in love with my Royal Doulton figurines, Autumn Breezes and Top of the Hill, as a 16 year old. I loved everything about that time - art, sculpture, fashion, interior decorating... When I visited London UK, I spent some wonderful hours exploring the Victoria and Albert Museum. Hmmmm, just thinking about it is a joy.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I did not watch The Golden Globes but I did check out the winners and the fashions.

The only god awful dress was Kate Mara’s. Some other dresses that were on the bad lists were actually not bad. I think my favorite as far as fashion forward was that see-through blue number with a black bra thing that was beautiful but risque.

The two things I didn’t like that I saw several of war

1) Way too much fabric in a dress Like Lady Gaga.
    2) Deep V-neck that displays skinny bony torso and flat boobs, no one looks good in that. Tara J Henson is an example, her dress was OK and she looked OK but she didn’t look great. Keri Russell another example.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-8-19 at 9:34pm.

Geila
    Thandie Newton looked fantastic. She was probably my favorite. So many looked like the dresses were wearing them, rather than the other way around.

And I'm waiting for the long straight hair with center part trend to be over. It is not a flattering look on a lot of women. Except for very young women, who look good no matter what.

The only jeans I've found to fit me are the True Shape ones from LL Bean. Now, instead of boot-cut legs, they have a "kick boot" leg, which is just a bit of a flair, perfect for going over boots.

My style is now very boring and classic and bought in thrift stores. Lots of light/khaki pants, polos in summer and turtlenecks under sweaters in winter. BTW, I LOVE turtlenecks but am told when my hot flashes happen in the winter I'll rip them off my body. My style is very comfortable and always neat and dressier than jeans and Ts.

Skinny jeans, yoga pants outside a yoga studio, ripped jeans and pajama bottoms out in public----all must go!

Geila
    Yoga pants are too comfortable to give up!!! Here where I live everybody wears them - even college professors during lecture. During warm weather I live in shorts with tees and tank tops, and cold weather is yoga pants with long cotton tops and a sweater if needed. When I wear jeans they feel very uncomfortable and heavy. If I ever give up yoga pants I would probably do linen pants, those are comfortable.

Thread Information