Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eminent domain/ national emergency

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Eminent domain/ national emergency

Yesterday Trump talked about two issues regarding the border wall.

One was declaring a national emergency to get funds for the border wall. The second was eminent domain. I have been reading a lot of information about these two issues. Eminent domain has quite a history in this country, particularly in Texas.

Often eminent domain gets tangled up in the courts and sometimes Native American tribal land is involved.

Is this a national emergency? Anyone have any experience with eminent domain? It does not look so simple from what I can see.

The only national emergency is that we have a delusional sociopathic dude in the White House.

I get it. He doesn't believe in the rule of law, but I predict that if he attempts to go down the fake 'national emergency' road he'll get his butt whooped in court just like his Muslim ban.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The only national emergency is that we have a delusional sociopathic dude in the White House.

I get it. He doesn't believe in the rule of law, but I predict that if he attempts to go down the fake 'national emergency' road he'll get his butt whooped in court just like his Muslim ban.
    I will admit, the first sentence made me laugh out loud.

But the “Muslim ban” was upheld by the Supremes Because it wasn’t really a Muslim ban you know.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/supr...-ban-case.html

Yeah but it took 3 tries to get there. He won’t get 3 tries with a national emergency claim. And he doesnt have anyone nearly good enough at legal contortions to get it right on the first try. Antonin Scalia is unavailable to assist with legal contortions at this time.

Yeah but it took 3 tries to get there. He won’t get 3 tries with a national emergency claim. And he doesnt have anyone nearly good enough at legal contortions to get it right on the first try. Antonin Scalia is unavailable to assist with legal contortions at this time.
    While I am no legal scholar, I too think it is ridiculous to claim we are now in a state of national emergency that meets court standards.

The only emergency that exists at our southern border is the cruel mess this administration has made in processing refugees. We have no terrorists streaming over the border, smuggling happens at checkpoints* (generally by citizens or other authorized personnel) and most sex traffickers operate within the US. Even the MS 13 threat is overblown. I remember a sharp eyed border patrol agent stopping a potential terrorist many years ago, at Blaine. Does anyone remember such a thing happening at our southern border? As mentioned in another thread, most terrorists these days are home-grown white men.

*per Barry McCaffrey, who served on President Bill Clinton's Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy

And I do find it somewhat amusing (at least as amusing as any situation involving the pathetic republicans hellbent on destroying my country can be) that this whole fake panic over the border induced shutdown has resulted in e verify being suspended. If people were actually freaked out about undocumented people getting jobs that would seem like something they should be concerned about.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/03/68196...tion-enforceme

And I do find it somewhat amusing (at least as amusing as any situation involving the pathetic republicans hellbent on destroying my country can be) that this whole fake panic over the border induced shutdown has resulted in e verify being suspended. If people were actually freaked out about undocumented people getting jobs that would seem like something they should be concerned about.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/03/68196...tion-enforceme
    That is truly bizarre. I wasn't aware of the E-Verify thing, but my team handled E-Verify verifications in my corporate life. I totally agree with you, JP1.

During normal government shitdowns the agencies usually have time to make contingency plans. But we’ve never had a president before who made a snap decosion to renege on something he’d already agreed to signamd thus singlehandly prompt a sudden shitdown.

Thread Information