Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eminent domain/ national emergency

Fifty years ago the government long ago tried (and failed) to create a program that would replace migrant farm workers with high school age Americans.

"Dealing with crops which grow close to the ground requires a good deal stronger motive" than money or the prospects of a good workout, argued a Detroit Free Press editorial (at the time). "Like, for instance, gnawing hunger."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...high-schoolers

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Fifty years ago the government long ago tried (and failed) to create a program that would replace migrant farm workers with high school age Americans.

"Dealing with crops which grow close to the ground requires a good deal stronger motive" than money or the prospects of a good workout, argued a Detroit Free Press editorial (at the time). "Like, for instance, gnawing hunger."
    Yes, there's no motivator like desperation.

A few years back I was in Salt Lake City and took the tour of Brigham Young's house (he was actually a distant relative of mine). The tour guide was a chipper, very blonde BYU student. At one point she was talking about how the original Mormon settlers crossed the desert to get to the promised land. "Some of them were even pushing everything they owned in wheelbarrows!" she marveled. "I could never do that!"

There was a guy in the group in his 70s, with the leathery skin and slit eyes of someone who has spent most of his life working in the sun. He looked squarely at her and drawled, "Miss, you'd be surprised what you can do, when you got no choice."

I suppose that’s one argument in favor of more permeable borders. We need more peasants to keep the price of avocado toast at a reasonable level.

Thread Information