Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January purge

Yppej: Sounds like you also got rid of a few "sparks annoyance" items!

I recently went threw bath towels and kitchen towels and did the same. It’s ridiculous to have drawers or hall linen closet jammed backed with stuff. It is easy now to find stuff.

We inherited two buckets of shells when we bought our Hermann house. The woman two owners ago was from Florida so I’m sure the shells originated with her. I like shells so that’s why didn’t throw them away but I didn’t know what I was going to do with them.

Well, lo and behold, someone put a request out on Nextdoor for many shells because she is rebuilding a large grotto in her backyard. Yay! She got the shells.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-21-19 at 1:38pm.

Yppej
    Travel brochures and related materials for trips outside the region. After my last excursion I decided I want to stay closer to home and spend more time on attractions and less driving.

DH went through his socks and got rid of a bunch he doesn't like. Those went into fabric recycling bag. I added an unloved bra. DH also culled some items that were languishing in the kitchen cupboard.

Tea
    It's inspiring to read about de-cluttering successes.

There is one closet in this house that could really use a purge, but none of the stuff in there is mine, so it would take some cooperation. I could swear nothing in there even gets used, because no one wants the chore of stuffing the pile back in and trying to get the doors closed, but for some reason there is always resistance to getting rid of it. Perhaps it is time to bring up the topic again.

By the way, if anyone has towels/sheets/blankets that are too worn or stained to donate to a thrift store, most animal shelters can use them. They go through a lot of that sort of thing.

We're heading out later today to drop off a small garden potting bench, a heavy coverlet, and a few misc. items to our local Goodwill.
    While there we are going to look around. We typically only go during 1/2 price Saturdays, but according to an internet author, he says Mondays are the best days because most donors drop off their items on the weekend. So Monday is when he's gotten his best buys - we'll see if that theory works out today. (not needing to add more to the household, but if something amazing turns up, well....)

On Saturday we took two bags of stuff to the Goodwill, books and linens. Also took a breadmaker in since we found a more upscale breadmaker in SC, and have had two for three years now. While there picked up some Poppytrail china--cannot resist Poppytrail. Keep telling myself I will start selling it on Ebay--maybe this is the year!

I just went through a box of cosmetics and related items and got rid of several things. Why was I keeping awful color lipsticks that came free with purchase? I don't even wear lipstick that often, so even after winnowing down to the colors that I actually like, I probably have enough to last the rest of my life.
    I also went though a shelf of small linen items (place mats and such) and got rid of a few items from there.
    It's easy for me to rationalize having too much stuff because everything is tidy and stowed away. As I'm decluttering though, I find that it is really nice to have drawers and shelves and closet rods that are not so crowded. It's easier to see what I have and to find what I'm looking for.

My friends mom is 84 and getting rid of stuff. She offers it to her daughter and I before the thrift store. I took 3 tablecloths and then got rid of some of mine. I have also taken a few decorative items.

Thread Information