Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January purge

Yppej
    I am going through old recipes and making them again, then tossing the ones I no longer like.
    Last edited by Yppej; 1-22-19 at 7:42pm.

I went through my 3 wicker chests of linens & miscellaneous and culled the following:
    Tote bag, framed picture, 4 tablecloths - to be donated to Savers
    Flannel sheets and pillowcases (pretty worn) - to be donated to cat rescue group
    Flannel sheet and pillowcases (good shape and good brands) - will try to sell on eBay
    Valance - will try to sell on eBay
    Old bed pillow and storage bags - trash

DH is purging his comics collection and finally, finally, after years of saying he wanted to do this, sold 9 boxes to a local dealer. DH was paid a decent sum and is now continuing to purge more.

Not only does it get him more space to work on the rest but he considers any money from the sales to make up for losing retirement money when he was unemployed.

Junior Member gazingmassachusetts's Avatar
    I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff lately, but haven't quite had the heart to completely sell or give them away just yet I put everything into storage for now, and will decide what to do with everything later. Main thing is that they are out of the house and have freed up so much space, as well as making my head clearer Lots of old paintings, some furniture, and boxes of odds and ends really... I used this service, if anyone wants to do the same with a storage unit. It's a good first step for a purge!

I think paying for storage is a bad idea. It just allows you to procrastinate and some people end up paying for it for years. When I have large items to get rid of I either sell them, list for free or call a thrift store to come. The more I have downsized the easier it gets. It used to be hard for me to get rid of stuff.

Our regional museum holds a white elephant sale annually. Paintings and other art pieces are hot items there. I just donated 3 from my house. As soon as I saw their eagerness to have them, I knew I was doing the right thing.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 1-26-19 at 1:48pm.

Four hours on clothes yesterday. Interestingly, this was prompted by the desire to move my sheets from the bathroom cupboard to the bottom drawer of my dresser. The sheets were hard to get to and I knew the bottom drawer was a wasteland of tops I haven't worn in forever. By the time I had emptied the bottom drawer, culled and moved the sheets, half filled a large bag of giveaway clothes, I was motivated to tackle my closet. I took things out in groups instead of all at once, which made it much easier- I did not get overwhelmed- short sleeve tees, long sleeve tees, dressier shirts, etc. (yes, I hang my tees. Marie Kondo would be horrified! LOL)

All in all, a couple of things into the trash, a bag full for Goodwill (cloth recycle), and another bag full of perfectly good clothes that I will drop off to the Food Bank/Winter Closet this week.

The biggest plus of all, when I got dressed this morning I felt blessed rather than deprived- I have lots to choose from! All neatly organized, hanging in my closet.

mschrisgo2,
    I found the same domino effect when I was purging my closets post-retirement. I actually donated an empty dresser and side table to a local furniture charity.
    Success breeds more motivation!

Husband out of town for 2 weeks so going to purge the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Husband out of town for 2 weeks so going to purge the garage.
    Good time to do it. I have done all my garage purges when DH has been away.

Thread Information