Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stoicism

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would maintain that insisting a given group has a duty to vote a certain way because they have two X chromosomes is the very essence of arbitrary. Becoming a liberal Democrat is a matter of personal conviction, which is not the same thing.
    I don't think Albright was arguing that anyone should vote for Clinton solely because she was female. Her point was more nuanced than that. In that election, I'm sure Albright wouldn't have argued that you should vote for Carly Fiorina over a male Democrat. That would have been arbitrary.

I guess it depends on how you define "arbitrary." To me, opposing Trump because I don't want a malignant narcissist holding the most powerful political office in the world isn't arbitrary. Opposing him because he has ridiculous hair would be.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I don't think Albright was arguing that anyone should vote for Clinton solely because she was female. Her point was more nuanced than that. In that election, I'm sure Albright wouldn't have argued that you should vote for Carly Fiorina over a male Democrat. That would have been arbitrary.

I guess it depends on how you define "arbitrary." To me, opposing Trump because I don't want a malignant narcissist holding the most powerful political office in the world isn't arbitrary. Opposing him because he has ridiculous hair would be.
    Her actual statement left little room for nuance. Her after-the-fact exegesis was a world-class parsing of plain words worthy of a Clinton appointee.

Luckily we are all free to identify with any group or cause we agree with, regardless of the opinions of others.

Turns out Trump's hair-on-fire "crisis" speech was mostly about getting his supporters to pungle up money for his re-election campaign. I sincerely hope he won't be able to run from prison...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Luckily we are all free to identify with any group or cause we agree with, regardless of the opinions of others.

Turns out Trump's hair-on-fire "crisis" speech was mostly about getting his supporters to pungle up money for his re-election campaign. I sincerely hope he won't be able to run from prison...
    We are all free to identify with any group we like. What’s objectionable is when we try lumping everyone with some identifiable trait into a group we expect to think and act in certain ways as Albright did. That’s identity politics, and it’s ridiculous when practiced by either the left or the right.

Thread Information