Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoicism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stoicism

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more interest in Stoic philosophy in the media and the netsphere lately? There seem to be many more blogs and podcasts than a few years ago.

One of the only podcasts I listen to is Sam Harris, "Waking Up". He covers a range of topics, but the center around mindful living, meditation, and various religious philosophy. Interestingly one of his most recent got into stoicism as a way to deal with anxiety and anger.

It's not just you, am seeing it in conjunction with some men-centric posters (not sure what to label them, but they believe feminism is destroying this country, believe they are "red-pilled", etc.). It's kind of big right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It's not just you, am seeing it in conjunction with some men-centric posters (not sure what to label them, but they believe feminism is destroying this country, believe they are "red-pilled", etc.). It's kind of big right now.
    Really? I didn't know that stoicism was necessarily a guy thing. I've actually read a couple of books on it, for my own interest in its philosophy. I certainly never thought of it as an anti-feminism thing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've been reading Marcus Aurelius for years and years now, but I don't see Stoicism as being particularly anti-feminist/MRA. Except perhaps for the embedded culture of the time in his writing.

It’s hard to see what one school of thought might have to say to the other. The one is about how the individual regulates his relationship to the world around him. The other is about collective guilt, collective grievances and collective power relationships.

It’s difficult for me to see how Musonius or Seneca or Epictetus might critique feminism if they were here today. It would be like attacking geometry with botany.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s hard to see what one school of thought might to say to the other. The one is about how the individual regulates his relationship to the world around him. The other is about collective guilt, collective grievances and collective power relationships.
    Out of curiosity, can you provide a link to an example of the latter?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you provide a link to an example of the latter?
    For instance, it’s hard to imagine a Stoic saying “There’s a special place in Hell for women who don’t help other women” in support of a political candidate. When it’s just you deciding how to perceive and respond to the universe for yourself, allies and intersectionality and doctrinal differences would seem to be pretty much irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    For instance, it’s hard to imagine a Stoic saying “There’s a special place in Hell for women who don’t help other women” in support of a political candidate. When it’s just you deciding how to perceive and respond to the universe for yourself, allies and intersectionality and doctrinal differences would seem to be pretty much irrelevant.
    Wha...? I'm scratching my head. That's merely someone expressing a political view. I don't see what that has to do with Stoicism. It seems to me a Stoic would simply shrug and say you're entitled to your opinion.

The central idea of Stoicism is virtue. That is, does a person lie, cheat, steal, harm others? Is he calm and unaffected by calamity? There are all sorts of ontological and epistemological underpinnings to why you should behave that way (see Epictetus, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, et al.), but in practical terms that's the main message.

If you want a splendid example of what Stoicism is not, forget Madeleine Albright and look no further than our current president. Dishonest, vain, self-deluded, bigoted, impatient and selfish, Trump is an encyclopedia of non-Stoic characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Wha...? I'm scratching my head. That's merely someone expressing a political view. I don't see what that has to do with Stoicism. It seems to me a Stoic would simply shrug and say you're entitled to your opinion.

The central idea of Stoicism is virtue. That is, does a person lie, cheat, steal, harm others? Is he calm and unaffected by calamity? There are all sorts of ontological and epistemological underpinnings to why you should behave that way (see Epictetus, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, et al.), but in practical terms that's the main message.
    That's exactly how I see it.

Thread Information