Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm so frustrated with Medicare, Social Security, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I find it surprising that you all apparently think there is no bureaucracy in the socialized medicine world. I’m not sure if you all have run into it, but The Gubmnt is pretty good at Providing hoops to jump through to accomplish anything. Certainly some countries are better than others at how they hand out healthcare. Mainly, the grass is always greener…
    Yes, there's always bureaucracy, but their single-payer system is, by definition, streamlined. You don't have employer groups, and managed care executives, and pharmacy benefit managers, and providers and a gazillion health care companies and a gazillion healthcare plans WITHIN the companies and copay vs coinsurance and high deductible/low premium vs. low deductible/high premium and prior authorizations and appeals, and Medicare vs commercial and donut holes and Krispy Kremes.. (oops, I haven't had breakfast---mmm... Krispy Kremes).

And for all this convoluted mishmash and layers upon layers of stakeholders and high cost, we have horrible health outcomes. The grass is not only greener, but our grass needs to be completely re-sodded!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Read The Nordic Theory of Everything to get a Scandinavian's perspective of our system(s) after moving to the US and getting married. There is no reason it needs to be so complicated and profit-driven.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Read The Nordic Theory of Everything to get a Scandinavian's perspective of our system(s) after moving to the US and getting married. There is no reason it needs to be so complicated and profit-driven.
    I think the fact that is is profit-driven explains most of the confusion and frustration.

People against single-payer medical care say they don't want the government making medical decisions for them. But they are apparently completely happy with a for-profit insurance company making those same medical decisions as to what they can and cannot get.