Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your take on Trump's address?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Illegal immigration has been down for years. Smuggling generally happens at checkpoints, per Gen. McCaffrey, who ought to know. Immigrants of all kinds commit far fewer crimes than the rest of us (you can look it up). Opioid use is mainly due to over-prescribing and distribution within the country. Human trafficking is no more a border problem than it is elsewhere. The only "border crisis" is the shameful way this country is treating legal asylum seekers. This whole brouhaha is just a smokescreen for an out of control administration and a way to wring campaign contributions from their flock. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...election-bucks
    Can I take then that people entering the country illegally across the southern border is OK? That probably is not the take of the last few administrations and the best I can figure is not my take either. Highlighting a quote from Obama, "...today our immigration system is broken - and everybody knows it". I don't think it is taken out of context. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...tion-policies/ There is also little doubt in my mind that Trump exaggerating almost everything about it, but that doesn't mean a crisis or at least a problem, does not exist.

The border wall probably oversimplifies a solution, but it does not mean that the addition of physical barriers in certain spots may help. There are already quite a few in place. On the other hand there is no indication that the border security the democrats seem to accept is the only solution. So it seems to me like a battle of politics with no one really taking an objective look at what does and doesn't work.

Border deportations are down, but still millions in a decade or so and that is just the deportations and not those crossing illegally and not apprehended, and I'd just take a swag that those who enter the country and escape deportation is at least as large. https://www.usnews.com/news/data-min...on-under-trump

I have wondered why the dems have not used some or of path to citizenship as a bargaining chip? As in DACA.

Williamsmith
    Specifically responding to the OP’s direct question.......It’s a nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Specifically responding to the OP’s direct question.......It’s a nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.
    I suspect that's exactly what Melania is thinking.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Can I take then that people entering the country illegally across the southern border is OK? That probably is not the take of the last few administrations and the best I can figure is not my take either. Highlighting a quote from Obama, "...today our immigration system is broken - and everybody knows it". I don't think it is taken out of context. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...tion-policies/ There is also little doubt in my mind that Trump exaggerating almost everything about it, but that doesn't mean a crisis or at least a problem, does not exist.

The border wall probably oversimplifies a solution, but it does not mean that the addition of physical barriers in certain spots may help. There are already quite a few in place. On the other hand there is no indication that the border security the democrats seem to accept is the only solution. So it seems to me like a battle of politics with no one really taking an objective look at what does and doesn't work.

Border deportations are down, but still millions in a decade or so and that is just the deportations and not those crossing illegally and not apprehended, and I'd just take a swag that those who enter the country and escape deportation is at least as large. https://www.usnews.com/news/data-min...on-under-trump

I have wondered why the dems have not used some or of path to citizenship as a bargaining chip? As in DACA.
    This country has all kinds of problems. IMO, illegal immigration is the least of them. Infrastructure, health care, anthropogenic climate change, environmental concerns, homelessness all loom larger (and probably some I haven't thought of) in my mind. We have a large, expensive border defense system in place we can beef up if it makes us feel better. As I've said ad nauseum, no one is proposing open borders, and some kind of guest-worker program would take the Illegality out of the equation. Or we could crack down on employers, if the idea of foreign-born workers is scary.

A path to citizenship is apparently a no-go unless it comes from Ronald Reagan.

The border issue is great though for arousing and maintaining nativist sentiment, and getting people to focus on the Danger Of The Other, instead of the Danger of the Federal Bridge That Fell Into The River.

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    This country has all kinds of problems....
    No disagreement that our spending priorities are way out of line. Matter of fact I've been wondering about the promises for infrastructure improvements. And any significant spending on climate change issues will have to wait for the next regime. But out of the long list of problems the reality is that our leaders have decided to spend a couple of billion out of several trillion on border security one way or another, and that is the debate. I could see that as an appropriate amount relative to the issues, but in the big scheme of things is small change either way.

I guess my issue is that both sides have turned it into a political arena rather than improving upon past solutions that have been less than perfect.

I totally agree Jane.

What I'm finding so surprising is that a person such as he, can continue to be the president. It's unbelievable, shameful, and there's no excuse for it. The future presidents will spend decades trying to undo all the damage he's done.
    The emperor has no clothes..........

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    What I'm finding so surprising is that a person such as he, can continue to be the president. It's unbelievable, shameful, and there's no excuse for it. The future presidents will spend decades trying to undo all the damage he's done.
    The emperor has no clothes..........
    Well, there is going to be an entire nudist colony in D.C. soon.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, there is going to be an entire nudist colony in D.C. soon.
    LOL Williamsmith. Good one. Rob

Thread Information