Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your take on Trump's address?

Or mitch mcconnell should acknowledge that he’s not part of the executive branch, get the senate to re-pass the budget bill that passed with 100 veto-proof votes and we could get on with our lives without wasting $5b on a pathetic wall to satisfy a trumper tantrum and his sad loser supporters.

My empathy for Federal workers is tempered by my many experiences of working without a paycheck myself. First, I realized that I was an essential worker and subject to continued work without pay during a government shutdown. And so I prepared for that eventuality by having an emergency fund which I could take supplemental money from while I was not being paid.
    yea somewhat, I mean they can collect unemployment, literally, they can collect unemployment. They are eligible. So it's not actually living without a check. But unemployment is not generous, frankly not enough to live off entirely. No it's not, but that's a separate issue, maybe it should pay better! But as is tons of unemployed people live off it while looking for work, somehow, and they do it every day facing REAL uncertainty of when they will ever work again. Suffice to say I know people who may be out of work soon - but probably not me by some miracle - thank you heaven (as well as those who are still out of work) and they aren't government workers. It's hard to have much sympathy for the government workers when one is surrounded by good accomplished people in far worse desperation.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 1-10-19 at 2:39am.
    Trees don't grow on money

But I listened to some of Trump and the Dems. Trump literally plays MENTALLY ILL on t.v.. Do I think he *is* mentally ill? Probably not, I think he feigns his delusions to appeal to whoever the heck his base is (probably not who we keep being told they are). But it's really wrong that we have the guy feigning mental illness for a President. Hard to believe.

He was full of it (regardless of what one thinks about immigration and if we should allow in more or less immigrants, he's just delusional, convinced immigrants are all committing crimes and so on ... it's pure nonsense).

Pelosi/Shumer came across as way better than Trump of course, as if that was hard to do, it's like coming across better than the guy on the corner talking to himself and screaming at people passing by.

Sure they were mildly annoying in their own way. Partly just because the whole spectacle was annoying. A whole debate about symbolism pretty much. Meanwhile no addressing of any issues anyone might actually want government to deal with. But they were in the reactive position, Trump was leading this dance of madness, so I can cut them some slack in this case.

Politics has descended into pure symbolism, symbolism unmoored from anything. Pure acting and bathos. It's almost as if it were deliberate, like they don't want anyone to have even the slightest hope they could address any issues they care about.

6 billion hmm well even if it was the equivalent of flushed down the toilet (Trump's wall), doesn't the government actually waste that type of money all the time, just being realistic here.

I grow more and more concerned about the twisting of facts and statistics by the White House.

While many from the White House have been saying that nearly 4,000 terrorists have been held and implying that this happened at the southern border, only about 6 people fit this category. However, about 90 people on the watch list were caught at our northern border. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-first-n955861

I know politicians bend the truth, but this seems to go well beyond that.

I grow more and more concerned about the twisting of facts and statistics by the White House.

While many from the White House have been saying that nearly 4,000 terrorists have been held and implying that this happened at the southern border, only about 6 people fit this category. However, about 90 people on the watch list were caught at our northern border. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-first-n955861

I know politicians bend the truth, but this seems to go well beyond that.
    yea feigning mental illness is the best way I can describe it, because to be that out of touch with reality is well insane (what what other word would you prefer for entirely absent from reality? though I apologize to the insane, as most of them are harmless afterall). I was surprised it was even 6 though. I would have estimated the number at: zero. More terrorists than I imagine I guess. Although isn't the watch list itself questionable at this point, certainly the no-fly list was.

I don't care if someone is not for open borders (neither am I) or wants a different immigration policy. Fine. But the reasons Trump wants it are literally insane.

The news seems to focus on the veracity of what Trump has said and the denials by the democrats. I think the terrorist and drug smuggling allegations are probably not real. I suspect the bulk of illegal drugs coming up from the border use vehicles on common roads, airplanes, or maybe tunnels.

What I don't know that I wish the reporting would focus on rather than the political bickering is the magnitude of a border issue with people entering the country illegally and whether the border security experts actually think any sort of additional physical barrier, large or small, would actually serve any helpful purpose. I don't get the impression there is much unbiased information being reported on those things.

There is already a physical barrier at some parts of the border (ha probably where the one or two criminals that happened to be immigrants crossed). There are also things like tunnels under the border that smugglers have built though. It is my understanding that border security people think other measures are more effective than a wall if a wall is effective AT ALL (but I'm not an expert) and that's just people coming in via the border. And that's not even getting into they could target employers of illegal immigrants if they really wanted to crack down on immigration (some of this goes on, but not very much it seems). Of course we'd still need a guest worker type program.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    The news seems to focus on the veracity of what Trump has said and the denials by the democrats. I think the terrorist and drug smuggling allegations are probably not real. I suspect the bulk of illegal drugs coming up from the border use vehicles on common roads, airplanes, or maybe tunnels.

What I don't know that I wish the reporting would focus on rather than the political bickering is the magnitude of a border issue with people entering the country illegally and whether the border security experts actually think any sort of additional physical barrier, large or small, would actually serve any helpful purpose. I don't get the impression there is much unbiased information being reported on those things.
    Illegal immigration has been down for years. Smuggling generally happens at checkpoints, per Gen. McCaffrey, who ought to know. Immigrants of all kinds commit far fewer crimes than the rest of us (you can look it up). Opioid use is mainly due to over-prescribing and distribution within the country. Human trafficking is no more a border problem than it is elsewhere. The only "border crisis" is the shameful way this country is treating legal asylum seekers. This whole brouhaha is just a smokescreen for an out of control administration and a way to wring campaign contributions from their flock. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...election-bucks

You nailed it Jane!

Forbes knows the score.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...B#2ade46126a52

I watched Republican John Kasich the other night, making an argument for guest workers. But repugnant Stephen Miller and his cabal--which includes Trump--hates even the thought of non-Aryan immigration/accomodation, and will work to the death trying to prevent it.

"Open borders" has never been on the table; bi-partisan agreements have been floated that cover DACA (which is obviously anathema to the cabal mentioned above) and increased personnel, training, and technology on the border. But that's not good enough for Trump. He wants a commemorative wall.

Thread Information