Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The government shutdown.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Anyone who thinks a wall is the answer for border security has never seen the Shawshank Redemption. I suspect the mexicans have more effective tools than a prisoner would so it won’t likely take them 19 years to figure out how to breach it.
    When I lived in San Diego decades ago, they simply dug these badass Hogan's Heroes-inspired tunnels with railways in 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If this is how he runs his business it's no wonder that he went bankrupt 6 times and that the only people will do business with him anymore are Russians who figured out they could get something from him that he didn't realize he was giving them. Just a year ago he could've had $25B for a wall and all he had to give up was DACA. Now he's in a really weak position and has little hope of getting even $5B for a wall.
    Bears repeating. I'm glad he didn't get his expensive eyesore boondoggle wall, but that's a very good point.

A friend of mine that is homeless from the paradise fire just had fema aid cut off because of the shutdown. As if those people haven’t suffered enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    A friend of mine that is homeless from the paradise fire just had fema aid cut off because of the shutdown. As if those people haven’t suffered enough.
    It's clearly California's fault; they didn't rake their forests enough.

If forest management were the problem (which California says it wasn't), it's mostly federal forest management they should be looking at.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I wish I could snap my fingers and restore aid to your friend. I know it doesn't help matters, but for what it's worth, I'm sorry. There is no excuse for this in my book. None whatsoever. Rob

Another thing that strikes me when the media does stories about federal employees not receiving pay is how close to the edge many are living. Just missing one paycheck seems to throw them into all sorts of financial difficulty or perhaps that's just "fake news".
    yea, they must be shockingly unprepared for losing a job (but if they are Fed gov employees I guess that doesn't enter their sphere of possibility, when for the rest of us it is constant lived reality as a possibility and sometimes a certainly). I lost my first professional job in layoffs 2 1/2 years in in a recession and I got my lesson, yea be prepared. Now there may be limits to how much one can be prepared, if wages are low, costs high, and if it wasn't for bad luck one would have no luck at all, but not even one paycheck? True some of the people losing income now are contractors and they never will see that lost income because they won't get paid for it later (if they aren't working, if people are working they will get paid for it someday period).
    Trees don't grow on money

ANM, my husband lost his job st 53 and has had 2 short contracts in 7 years. He is a engineer.

Williamsmith
    I’m sure there is a good bit of uncomfortableness but if a government employee is already in crisis mode, they were living very close to the edge. As a federal government employee, they must have been keenly aware that politics can create havoc with their monthly budget. It sounds like many of them were quite unprepared for a career that relies on taxpayers uninterrupted money.

There seems to be a good bit of gleeful reporting about how dire the situation is for federal workers. I worked without pay several times and each time my mortgage lender simply suspended my mortgage agreement. Interest accrued but there was never any mention of a pending foreclosure. Any day to day purchases could have been made on a credit account supplied by a bank that issued new credit cards to all state employees. It was never ideal but not a crisis.

The majority of Americans would be in the same situation - hurting after missing one paycheck.

While I understand the ideas behind being prepared, it bothers me when people make fun of those who are not prepared. It takes a certain income level to be prepared, and most working class people are not st hat level.

I’ve been working class poor. It’s hard. We carried some debt for 20 years, doing our best. Then I got a job that put me squarely in middle class and suddenly it seemed so easy to implement good financial planning and be ready for an emergency.

It had little to do with my financial choices and a lot to do with my income level.

It’s not their fault. I have a lot of compassion for the govt workers right now. We need to stop judging them.

I agree Tammy. It's easy to say "they should have prepared." We do not know why they weren't able to prepare.

Thread Information