Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The government shutdown.....

Thinking more about what the TSA could do I agree that a countrywide sickout wouldn't necessarily be effective. However, a mass sickout of the D.C. Area airports this coming Friday and Saturday, two days when virtually every senator will be attempting to leave town, might be effective. The senate is not in session the week of the 21st so forcing the senators to stay in town might help them grow a backbone and actually do something to resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Thinking more about what the TSA could do I agree that a countrywide sickout wouldn't necessarily be effective. However, a mass sickout of the D.C. Area airports this coming Friday and Saturday, two days when virtually every senator will be attempting to leave town, might be effective. The senate is not in session the week of the 21st so forcing the senators to stay in town might help them grow a backbone and actually do something to resolve this.
    Interesting idea. Reminded me about the Love Canal environmental disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal
    At one point in their lengthy effort to get help, the article states: "Notably, two EPA employees were also held hostage by activists for approximately 5 hours at the Love Canal Homeowners Association office in order to bring their demands to the attention of the federal government."
    That little episode ended peacefully but it did get President Carter's focused attention.

It also reminded me of the successful teachers sickouts/strikes in various states this past year. After just a short time of schools having to close due to lack of teachers, suddenly the governors found money in the budget to increase teacher salaries.

Anyway, looks like Miami is shutting down one of its terminals this weekend. We'll see how this plays out.

I thought the teacher strikes were effective. I don't agree with shutting down the airports, and I don't think it would have any impact on Congress, the way JP1 feels it would.

It would just make life worse for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Interesting idea. Reminded me about the Love Canal environmental disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal
    At one point in their lengthy effort to get help, the article states: "Notably, two EPA employees were also held hostage by activists for approximately 5 hours at the Love Canal Homeowners Association office....
    Physical violence? I guess when By Any Means Necessary is the order of the day, we all benefit.

Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I thought the teacher strikes were effective. I don't agree with shutting down the airports, and I don't think it would have any impact on Congress, the way JP1 feels it would.

It would just make life worse for everyone else.
    I just figured that since the republican senate has no concern for anyone other than themselves (well, and Russia and their rich donors) that the only way to get their attention was with something that actually would affect them personally. It wouldn't need to be for long. Just a couple days when they would all be trying to get home for the weeklong recess.

I just think they would pay for cars or something. Or commandeer (sp?) a train.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just think they would pay for cars or something. Or commandeer (sp?) a train.
    They could still fly, TSA has nothing to do with private charters. Or many of them probably have their own planes anyway. There all wealthy.

They had a bipartisan bill ready to go; then tantrum boy announced he wouldn't sign it. What Congress needs to do is re-vote unanimously on the same bill so that it's veto-proof. The Republican party should stand up to the little dictator for once.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    There all wealthy.
    No THEY'RE not.

it would sure reduce greenhouses gas emissions for awhile though, maybe enough to even be a reduction in them for the year.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information