Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The government shutdown.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The government shutdown.....

Is it impacting you, and if so, in what way? I'm hearing of future conventions (government related) getting cancelled and from more than one neighbor in the 85006 who works at the airport - apparently air traffic controllers won't be being paid soon. Top that off with the fact that 1/5th of them are currently retirement eligible and I see the potential for aviation disaster(s). I'm sure more impacts will be coming as this continues but these are two I have to offer up. Anyone else? Rob

We have allowed extra time at the airport. But so far that is all the impact. Was a Federal employee for 31 years and so many live paycheck to paycheck. They are like everyone else. I personally think that there should be no exempted employees. No refunds, no phone lines, no Secret Service!, nothing. The doors are closed and no one is home. Then let the politicians listen to the screams of the people who elected them.

I help run a small airport. In the past, these government shutdowns have cost us dearly, as key people at the FAA needed to sign off on projects were not available, and so projects slipped into the next budget cycle, got delayed, and the costs escalated.

Our runway repaving project has tripled in cost due to shutdowns in the past.

This shutdown is no different - stuff isn't getting signed, so work won't be getting done this year.

It's made me realize how powerful TSA workers are - if they all just decided not to come to work it would throw the country into chaos and this shutdown would end immediately.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    It's made me realize how powerful TSA workers are - if they all just decided not to come to work it would throw the country into chaos and this shutdown would end immediately.
    I could (possibly depending on how long this shutdown in fact drags on and how acrimonious things get, meaning I believe the rhetoric is only starting to amp up) realistically see this happening. Intriguing times for someone such as myself who essentially never really fit into this country or it's beliefs. Interesting to myself also that I am taking no joy whatsoever in this and wish for a prompt end to the shutdown and a non-violent end to the Trump Presidency and a start to the years it will take to fix the damage The Thug Of Orange has caused.

At any rate, from what I have heard from neighbors who work at Sky Harbour (The Phoenix Airport) TSA agents are starting to quit - not in huge numbers (yet) but it's taking longer to get through security lines and the morale is utterly non-existent. Way to go Mr. Trump - obviously aviation safety and the lives of the flying public mean a great deal to you (sarcasm fully intended and nowhere near appropriately strong enough). I have some choice words for the man in Viennese dialect this morning but I will spare you'all that.

Right now holding US citizenship is all about minimizing damage/damage control. I see no quick end to this - neither side seems willing to budge a fraction of a centimeter. I spoke to my 76 year old Mother yesterday - someone who lives in guilt of the Holocaust and the millions murdered given her prior Austrian citizenship and her upbringing in Austria and what does she have to say about Trump? She hopes he gets "taken out" - this coming from a woman who tries to sweep up household insects with paper to release them outside and not kill them. This right here says so much to me - even someone that gentle and kind has had her fill. For you Conservatives, one elderly woman thinking this way is nothing, I give you that. The problem is that more and more people with each passing day are thinking in these terms. I personally actually do not wish for him to be taken out but rather non-violent impeachment. I've tried to tell others around me - repulsive as the man is, he is still a human being and evil though he may be, he is not in the league of Adolf Hilter. Given that I am so anti police brutality and how US police to this day can murder at will with often no consequence whatsoever, it would be the height of hypocricy (sp?) for me to support anything other than non-violent removal from his current office. There are people in my neighborhood who think I'm being too kind and too soft and that my thinking leads to yet more victimization of innocent people.

But I still hold to this day the best option is non-violent removal from office, even if this stance does not win me friends. What can I say - I'm a humanitarian, even where someone like Donald J Trump is concerned. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I wonder if that’s what PATCO thought.

Williamsmith
    It is not a good thing for the general day to day operation of a country but no country should be at the complete mercy of government workers. Nor should it be at the mercy of one chief executive. Congress should shoulder the blame for a lot of this. They sit on their hands and do nothing. This is what government looks like when it is run like a business. This is “The Art Of the Deal” 101. We have gotten here because of what was done or not done long before Trump ever became a symbol of disgust for political status quo and establishment types. Now, we will see how we can handle turmoil. Both sides need to be put in time out until they can play nice in the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    This is “The Art Of the Deal” 101.
    If this is how he runs his business it's no wonder that he went bankrupt 6 times and that the only people will do business with him anymore are Russians who figured out they could get something from him that he didn't realize he was giving them. Just a year ago he could've had $25B for a wall and all he had to give up was DACA. Now he's in a really weak position and has little hope of getting even $5B for a wall.

I wanted to talk to the IRS to clarify something about a tax return (taxes haven't magically gone away just because the government is shutdown afterall). The IRS is closed! @#$#
    Trees don't grow on money

I really feel sorry for the lower paid workers that live in expensive areas. These are the people least able to afford this crap. At this point I don’t care what happens to trump. He let people die in Puerto Rico by not giving enough aid. He just doesn’t care. The republicans need to grow a backbone and vote to open the government. Luckily we are not flying until the end of February.

Thread Information