Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The government shutdown.....

A wall would involve taking people’s homes, impede wildlife and is bad for the environment. As has been pointed out many times most people don’t run across the border. But why confuse people with the actual facts?

Trump's Wall is merely a symbol. His Mt. Rushmore, and a sop to his base, the White Nationalists.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It doesn't require a "blessing", just a signature on the document releasing the funding, which in the airport case is from fuel/landing fees and predesignated for the purpose. Most of it goes to pavement. Sort of like the federal highway system.

You can argue that the government shouldn't be involved in roads, but....
    If that’s the case, what purpose does the signature on a document serve in any practical sense?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If that’s the case, what purpose does the signature on a document serve in any practical sense?
    I think it has something to do with standard accounting practices. A human has to sign off on it. Human not in office. Timer expires. Start over. Potholes.

Repeat as needed.

Not really my problem anymore though, as I resigned just the other day. I have better things to do with my life at the moment than deal with man-made roadblocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think it has something to do with standard accounting practices. A human has to sign off on it. Human not in office. Timer expires. Start over. Potholes.

Repeat as needed.
    Yes, but why does it have to be a human employed by the federal government?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes, but why does it have to be a human employed by the federal government?
    We don't live in that world.

In this world, the federal government collects taxes on aviation fuel and landings, and then sends those funds to airports to build and maintain infrastructure. Federal employees do the bookkeeping. In some other world, the Feds could outsource the funds-handling and grant-assurance programs to some private firm, but we don't live in that world.

In another world entirely, roads and airports would all be private, and the government, if any, wouldn't be involved in such things. In this world, though, 90% of airport infrastructure work comes from Federal funds, just as the Interstate Highway system is done with Federal funds.

Ineptly, to be sure.

(I'm not allowed to change a burned-out light bulb on a federal navigation fixture here on the field, though it is a 30 second job. In theory, a federally-certified person has to come out to the island, change the bulb, and do all the paperwork.... Which is expensive and takes weeks. Since this requirement was handed down, oddly, none of our bulbs ever burn out.....)

Williamsmith
    So if I have understand this right. Trump wants 5 billion for the wall. Our current national debt is 16-20 trillion? That’s @ 5 million times as much as Trump wants for the wall.......and we are quibbling over a stupid wall and ignoring the debt. Gotcha.

Now this wall has been designed by many wonderful architects. One happens to be based in Columbus, Ohio. He submitted a nice design that would extend the entire 2000+ miles, would have archways with human barriers but would allow animals to freely move, a Traffic way on top that would facilitate emergency vehicles, a bicycle path and walkway, infrastructure for security personnel ..... it would be a tourist attraction. All the amazing structures we have built in this country and you are telling me we can’t build a nice little old wall suggesting that everybody follow the same rules to get in the country.

And add another thing ....This is the first time federal workers have EVER missed a paycheck. And they don’t have any emergency fund or contingency plan because they never thought they’d be in the real world where people get laid off and don’t get a paycheck. Well, welcome to the real world. I went without a paycheck several times and never b*tched or moaned. My state didn’t have a budget for over a year.

If TSA workers walk out, I would not be surprised to see them get fired just like the Air Traffic Controllers did back in the Reagan Administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    So if I have understand this right. Trump wants 5 billion for the wall. Our current national debt is 16-20 trillion? That’s @ 5 million times as much as Trump wants for the wall.......and we are quibbling over a stupid wall and ignoring the debt. Gotcha.
    Sometimes the cost of something is far greater than the dollars involved.

In the real world people who get laid off get unemployment. They don’t. Also they have to keep paying daycare for their kids to hold their spots but some pay through their HSA which they don’t have access too. It has been a month. My husband would get laid off and we had savings but he also got unemployment and he would be looking for a job during that time. The mandatory workers can’t do this. Plus people on section 8 housing won’t have their rent paid and how long can landlords go without all their rent? People pay a portion of their rent and are poor, elderly, disabled, etc. What about the people that depend on Snap to eat?

Thread Information