Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The government shutdown.....

And how many places are there like the town in this article, where the main employer IS the federal government?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/u...-marianna.html

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

It’s horrible that the prison employees already must drive 7 hours to work and be gone 2 weeks. Many will need to go into debt to afford the expenses such as gas. It doesn’t say if the employees are getting a free place to stay. Plus if they don’t stay on top of their financial situation they can be disciplined. Talk about a catch 22. Nurses can find jobs easily so the prison might find themselves without any. I would like to know who the person in the article wants trump to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I really feel sorry for the lower paid workers that live in expensive areas. These are the people least able to afford this crap. At this point I don’t care what happens to trump. He let people die in Puerto Rico by not giving enough aid. He just doesn’t care. The republicans need to grow a backbone and vote to open the government. Luckily we are not flying until the end of February.
    I think Trump does care. Several pundits have pointed out that cruelty--especially toward the powerless--is one of the cornerstones of his policies. This shutdown, in which government workers (mostly Democrats, in his mind), contractors, and communities in general, are suffering, is probably catnip to him.

I hadn’t thought of it that way Jane.

Another thought... Trump probably wants the shutdown to continue so it slows down the investigations being done on him!

Never understood how people thought a billionaire could/would help them. Trump obviously has no clue how an average person lives.

Williamsmith
    Can we start a list of how the government shutdown is directly affecting our own personal daily affairs? I’ll start.....

Ok, I’m done.

LOL Williamsmith. Same here.

I’m not seeing ragged GS-17s holding up “will regulate for food” signs at intersections, but I’ve had some pretty long hold times from the IRS recently.

There are at least 46,000 IRS workers furloughed. Probably the reason for long waits. https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-tax-age...-business.html

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m not seeing ragged GS-17s holding up “will regulate for food” signs at intersections, but I’ve had some pretty long hold times from the IRS recently.
    The eternal optimist, I would tell non-essential government workers that this is the perfect opportunity to show just how essential they are. They are the lucky ones. They can work under the table for cash while they are furloughed. The “essential” workers are crap outta luck. I heard that IRS workers are being recalled under special funding so......maybe you’ll get resocialized.

Thread Information