Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Did Trump Cave? Is he weakened?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

So Did Trump Cave? Is he weakened?

I'm wondering if the man has something up his sleeve, and/or if this sorry spectacle is going to rinse and repeat again as of February 15th? I've read online that Nancy Pelosi is considered to have scored herself and the Democratic party a victory over Trump - do you see it as such? The problem is that the one with orange hair is such a wild card - who knows what he's up to? Were it any other President, an analysis of Trump's move here to reopen the government would be much easier. I don't trust the man and I understand that he could care less for the collateral damage/victims of his decisions. What do you think? Rob

I would be worried about an extreme and punishing backlash, and not too far in the future. It may be with a shit down again or another way. If he truly cannot get his precious wall I have a feeling we will all pay dearly in some way. Still I think focusing on border security that makes some reasonable sense is a win for everyone (including honoring the international standards for those seeking legal pathways to being in the US).

Nancy clearly won this. She listened to what the voters wanted, didn't negotiate with a hostage taker and in the end he got exactly nothing and caved. If the negotiating skills he brought to this fight are the ones he uses in his business it's not particularly surprising that he's had to declare bankruptcy six times.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Nancy clearly won this. She listened to what the voters wanted, didn't negotiate with a hostage taker and in the end he got exactly nothing and caved. If the negotiating skills he brought to this fight are the ones he uses in his business it's not particularly surprising that he's had to declare bankruptcy six times.

Its fascinating how people in different parts of the country view it. Those I observe in the heartland think Nancy Pelosi has simply just captured a pawn that was put out as bait for an eventual checkmate. We will see but Trump has managed thus far to avoid a determined campaign to impeach him, I don’t know why anyone would look at the history of his Presidency and conclude he will not get his wall. One way or “ta Otha”.

I might agree with the 5 dimensional chess theory if trump had any sort of history of showing that type of skill.

Trump’s the loser in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think the government contractors who lost a month's salary are the real losers, but they're already forgotten as people revel in the new Speaker's refusal to compromise and the perception of a Trump loss.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think the government contractors who lost a month's salary are the real losers, but they're already forgotten as people revel in the new Speaker's refusal to compromise and the perception of a Trump loss.
    Alan, I take it then that you don't see Trump as refusing to compromise? Interesting. Though I don't especially care for this sub tropical low desert climate, not a day passes that I'm not grateful that I live in the 85006. You would be hard pressed here to not find someone grateful for the shutdown's at least temporary end, and also not saying a kind word or two about Pelosi and more than a negative word or two regarding Trump. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would agree. He basically held the Federal Workforce economically hostage for his bleeping wall and ended out reopening without gaining a single thing for the economic hostage-taking. Ummmm.....seriously NOT WINNING!!! And not making America great again, either, ugly red hats be damned. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

I could not agree more with everything you have posted here, jp1. Especially about the declaring bankruptcy six times part. Rob

Thread Information