Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: The government shutdown.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    There's no point in negotiating with a guy who doesn't honor his word.

And frankly, I don't care if that stupid wall was free, I don't want a gigantic monument to racism on the southern border of my country.
    Amen.

There's no point in negotiating with a guy who doesn't honor his word.
    is it about his word or about passing a government spending bill that has various spending priorities in it that either gets signed by the president or doesn't (actually with 2/3s majority do they EVEN need his signature, ok not clear on that one, generally no, but maybe there are exceptions. And no neither party has 2/3s, they would have to cooperate - but this is where the narrative of it all being Trump completely falls apart no? It's about the parties being so polarized they can't pass a spending bill.). So I could be wrong but isn't that how things actually work and not some fictional "trusting his word" as if it was a sweet nothing whispered in Melania's ears not to cheat on her.

And frankly, I don't care if that stupid wall was free, I don't want a gigantic monument to racism on the southern border of my country.
    there are barriers there already, probably better thought out for sure but ... I wish Trump would just compromise and be ok with more government scanners and maybe more border patrol agents, other more likely to work border security measures than his wall, and it could be resolved that way, like ok we'll put money into border security but lets get more inputs from the agencies actually involved. But there really is no compromises on either side. So porkbarelling is a compromise I think could be tried and yet isn't being. Because I actually take it for granted Trump isn't a rational actor, but there needs to fire under those who are (R's and D's in congress) to get this government open again anyway instead of playing it for political points.

And the only one's suffering are government workers or those actually losing benefits (not many yet): strike or burn the damn place down is all I have to say to the government workers. Be as lazy as you want to and don't try to fight it being you are only working for the fun of it and work isn't likely that fun, give people refunds they don't deserve, work to rule, slow down, speed up and mess it all up because you are pawns so a bunch of assholes can pander to their deeply propagandized bases and win brownie points (which are supposed to compromise for all the real things we can't get out of our government - like you know decent paying jobs or a decent healthcare system etc.). And apparently slavery is legal in the U.S. and not just for prisoners.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 1-19-19 at 2:38pm.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Trump had agreed to sign a continuing resolution in december. So the senate passed it and the house was going to pass it. Then ann coulter and rush limbaugh called him a weakling and he changed his mind . He doesnt keep his word.

This could obviously be over today if Congress would just vote overwhelmingly to fund the government with a veto-proof majority. What's stopping them? (Rhetorical question)

He is speaking at 3 eastern time today.