Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is there any good news on the environment?

Wow. I got 13.9%. But in my defense, it's a bit of a flawed methodology because, for instance, I ranked three of the first question items in the right order but #4 was actually #1, so I feel I got 3 right, not 0 right.

Yes, nswef, it did make me glad I have a hybrid (2007 Prius). And, while I plan on driving it to the ground, when it needs replacing, I'll see what the best technology is at that point and invest in it. Hybrids aren't perfect as far as green goes, but they're a step in the right direction.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"Today, we shift our focus to Washington State, where House Bill 1211 has passed its namesake chamber by a margin of 56-42. HB 1211 is the companion bill of Senate Bill 5116, will require the state to adopt 100% carbon-free power by 2045, as well as phasing out coal by 2025 and requiring all electricity sales to be carbon-neutral by 2030. The bill has now passed in both chambers, meaning that it is destined to end up on the desk of Governor Jay Inslee (D) after it goes back to the Senate for reconciliation, as some minor amendments were made in the House. And since Inslee proposed this plan to begin with, there is no doubt that he will sign the bill
    if you like Jay Inslee and his focus on climate change and environment (he is running for President on climate change) give him a small donation to get him in the Dem debates. This has been an unpaid political announcement.

(and no he's not the only Dem candidate with proposals at all, just he's very focused on it)
    Trees don't grow on money

34.4%

Had to laugh at myself. I redid the test which I got 28.8% the first time and still only 46.9% the second time. I must be a slow learner or, as Cath notes, one can be correct on many of the # 2,3,4's but not the # 1. Still it is food for thought as there is a lot of effort in reducing the coolants, increased hybrid or electric vehicle use, greater awareness of the amount of food being thrown away, all signs of progress.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I went to the Whale Museum on the next island over last week, instead of taking my guests out whale watching, because:

- our local resident population of Orca whales is endangered, and under pressure from the huge number of whale watching boats

- fully 1/2 of the resident whales snuck down to Monterey this month for a quick snack, because food sources here and boat traffic were making feeding difficult - they've done this a few times in the past. Normally they live here year round.

We had a good time at the Museum, then went to a land-based Whale Watching Park for a picnic - generally a couple hours there will yield a nice sighting, as the Orcas like to feed on salmon right off that park. No whales.

On the ferry back to this island, right as we were leaving the harbor - an entire family pod of Orcas was hanging out, right at the harbor entrance, just playing. I've never ever even seen them in that channel. It was a good sign.

A friend later told me she saw the same family playing in the harbor in Vancouver a couple days later.

And the resident humpback is still here with her calf, and others seem to be coming to join.

And last year I was out in my 16' boat, and saw a fin whale, which was an amazing experience.

Maybe things are getting a bit better?

Good news about the whales, bae!

Re the quiz, I went to the Project Drawdown site and it was really interesting--it had the whole rankings and the rationale behind each solution. While I think much depends on policy and things beyond "shorter showers," it is a reminder of how much can be done, and is being done, at institutional and personal levels.

https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Re the quiz, I went to the Project Drawdown site and it was really interesting--
    https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank
    It was interesting to see how the input costs and cost benefit lined up against each other.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Another good example of what is possible if everyone makes the effort especially the politicians and citizenry.
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Daily/2019...a:ddp:20190423

But for the city of San Fernando, north of Manila in the Philippines, addressing the problem goes beyond the latest innovation to hit the market...

Between 2012 and 2018, the city increased the percentage of trash diverted from landfills from 12% to 80%, a feat many local governments can only dream about. Instead of going to dumpsites or, worse, into waterways, most of the waste collected in the city now becomes compost or is sold for recycling.

A 2018 World Bank report revealed that nearly 2 billion metric tons (2.2 billion U.S. tons) of solid waste was generated worldwide in 2016 – a number that could increase to 3.4 billion metric tons (3.7 billion U.S. tons) by 2050, damaging mostly developing countries...

In 2012, the local government of San Fernando tapped the MEF to implement a zero waste strategy in the city of more than 300,000. It was a long and grueling effort. Across the city, solid waste unceremoniously dumped in the streets was a common sight, recalls Ms. Rodriguez, saying that at the time, many thought it was impossible to solve...

In addition to major policies, which include a total ban on plastic and polystyrene, the city has also initiated short-term programs, such as collective cleanups, to ensure the initiative remains at the forefront of people’s minds.

“No policy can be successful if people do not comply,” says Ms. Rodriguez. She notes that making sure residents separate waste at home was one of the major challenges they had to address at the beginning. They did so through information campaigns urging citizens to respect the law.

I just realized that Catherine asked me a question about recycling companies near her in New Jersey; I do know of a company called "611 Metals" (611 Metals@gmail.com) that does heavy duty recycling and buys metal! They are located in Willow Grove and Pipersville Bucks County PA. They may be able to pick up from your location if there is enough stuff. Worth a try! They may know of other companies even closer.

Thread Information