Thread: Anyone sprouting seeds at home?

Anyone sprouting seeds at home?

I finally have a nice stainless steel lip for a wide-mouth mason jar that makes for easy rinsing so have been growing some sprouts. I need to get some fresh seed for a little variety. Anyone sprouting?

BTW, I did the micro greens growing last winter and should set that going again as well. What is being grown these days?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I used to sprout, but it's been a long time. I still have my different sprouting trays and cups... maybe it's time to start again? Last time I looked into it, the price of the sprouting seeds had gone up. I'll have to research again. Where do you get your seeds from?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Just investigating the source at present. DD told me about a place east of Toronto that I will investigate next weekend. https://feelgoodnatural.com/product-...c=f25a9a5f951d

I also have a totally organic seed source https://www.damseeds.ca/productcart/...t.asp?idpage=3about an hour away where I got my seeds for the Micro-Greens effort. I still have some sunflower, peas, radish, and buckwheat seed.

I researched if I could sprout my buckwheat seed. https://www.culturesforhealth.com/le...out-buckwheat/ I think that I will try these next with the organic seeds from W. Dam.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Where do you get your seeds from?
    At my local grocery store I get "Bob's Red Mill" brand:
    hull-less barley
    rye berries
    "Kamut" khorasan wheat

The above grains I sprout for 2-3 days … until the first appearance of a little white root tip … and then I add them to smoothies, or I eat them "straight" with a little warm honey and salt.

From Amazon I buy sprouts for salads:
    "Food to Live" brand fenugreek
    "Handy Pantry" brand clover and daikon radish.

I am not suggesting that these are the best buys on the market; only that these work for me, and I would repeat purchase them.

I am on the lookout for a source of mung beans and adzuki beans with a near 100% germination rate.

This is interesting to me... I've never sprouted. But a book that I bought for my osteoporosis, Healthy Bones, pretty much includes sprouts as a staple in the recipes they suggest. So I'd be interested in hearing more. The author even sprouts almonds.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I get mine from True Leaf Market- they bought out the Handy Pantry brand. I find the seeds to be very viable. I'm doing the soil sprouts again this winter, but currently taking a few weeks off. I really like sunflower sprouts. Sunflower, radish and pea sprouts make a really delicious salad.

I get mine through Territorial Seed out of Lorane, Oregon. (You can order online). Organic and clean. I've had excellent results.

Thanks for all the sources! I'm making my list and just may start this up again! Thanks again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Korean-style mung bean sprouting.

I do not speak the language but I gather their word for bean sprouts is "Sukjunamul"

I love the linked youtube video, and the irrepressible delight of the Korean-American lady, who says she uses mung bean sprouts to steam, to stir-fry, and to add to soup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m74YYPVbWU

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Korean-style mung bean sprouting.

I do not speak the language but I gather their word for bean sprouts is "Sukjunamul"

I love the linked youtube video, and the irrepressible delight of the Korean-American lady, who says she uses mung bean sprouts to steam, to stir-fry, and to add to soup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m74YYPVbWU
    Wonderful mung bean info, Dado. I now understand more about sprouting than I knew as I think a lot of what she advised would apply to other seeds as well.

Thread Information