Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Ailment No One Ever Talks About

I have just today saw this thread and I must say, I cringe at the level of pain you were experiencing! I am so glad you are doing better and the upcoming vacation will be so good for you. One thing I kept wanting to ask reading through you ordeal was, did you ever apply ice to the area? I know it might be like putting a band aid on hatchet gash (thinking Lizzy Borden for some reason!), but it does have some numbing ability and shrinking swelling. I hope you keep improving and never ever have to go through anything like this again.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I just can't win these days...I have another 'roid, on the other side from where they repaired the first one. No surgery planned for this one for the time being; I was way too traumatized from the last one.

I would never have it after what you went through. My broken wrist has been painful enough.

Apparently I am somewhat of an anonmoly according to the surgeon. She said most people recover quite well from that surgery. I have mostly recovered from the original incision but unbelievably another one cropped up on the other side (everyone has three separate columns of hemmeroidal tissue in there). I guess it's a bit unusual for a new one to crop up so soon after getting the other one repaired. Leave it to me to be the exception...

My friend had it done and now has more hemorrhoids and not doing a thing.

I thought I'd bring ya'll up-to-date about the problem that no one wants to talk about; I don't really want to but I am trying to think of it as a public service type thing for anyone else who may suffer the same malady.

I FINALLY was able to get into see the top colo-rectal surgeon in Albuquerque (which really means the top-rated surgeon in all of New Mexico, according to other doctors polled). So four months after the original hemorrhoidectomy, and two trips back to the original gastro person, what is really going on is that I have a very deep, into-the-muscle fissure down there. It is excruciating. I've been on a special nitroglycerin ointment, muscle relaxers and pain meds ~ a couple weeks ago I had two weeks where it really felt like things were healing, hardly any pain, so I went on a little camping trip and by the time I got back home it all came back with a vengeance. I am scheduled to get a Botox injection up in there (yes, they will knock me out for it) to get the muscles in there to stop spasming and hopefully allow things to heal. Yesterday I finally got my PCP to prescribe me some decent pain meds for the chronic pain (imagine feeling like you are being brutally violated for four months - sorry, I don't know how to say it without being totally gross).

So, we'll see. I am hopeful because the doctor said it has been very successful for most of her patients and she only had to do the more invasive sphincter surgery five times last year (and she is a VERY busy surgeon). Man, I just want to put all of this BEHIND me (pun intended)!!!!!

Wow, how awful that you had to go through so much unnecessary suffering and get treated like some kind of low-life drug addict. I'm glad they got to the bottom (since we're doing puns) of the problem and I hope the less invasive approach resolves your issues.

Does your original surgeon get an update on what your real problem is, with the pain and physical situation? She should.

So sorry about this!! Question: Does a fissure need to be surgical closed? Or can it just heal? good luck SiouzQ! You deserve a break, for sure!

Thread Information