Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frugal music options??

Williamsmith
    If you have time at your disposal with which to build a collection of music that suits you and areas you would like to experiment with, it is very frugal and cost effective to construct a vinyl record situation. A good serviceable receiver can be found at thrift stores, garage sales and auctions. I just purchased a Teac AG V 3050 for $7.99 at a Salvation Army. Earlier I found a set of Bose speakers with a subwoofer at a yard sale for $5. Add some speaker wire and perhaps a new turntable ( AudioTechnica LP60 for $90) and you have a system. Now vinyl can be had at those same resources for very reasonable prices. As cheap as a quarter a piece. That’s the analog solution, perhaps the throwback.

I just bought a boom box and play all my cd’s that we already own. Vinyl takes up way to much space.

Ironic that DD who is 35 now has a turntable and is collecting old LPs. I even saw a Frank Sinatra among them. Too bad we disposed of probably 100 LP classics ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I just bought a boom box and play all my cd’s that we already own. Vinyl takes up way to much space.
    Ironic that DD who is 35 now has a turntable and is collecting old LPs. I even saw a Frank Sinatra among them. Too bad we disposed of probably 100 LP classics ten years ago
    Vinyls are definitely big among the millennials. My son recorded his album on vinyl. They do have a different sound quality, and aficionados (like WS) think there's nothing like them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

None of my kids are into vinyl but they are not big into stuff or clutter.

Williamsmith
    My vinyl obsession is therapeutic for me. It meets my need for socialization. As it turns out, when I am searching for vintage vinyl at yard sales, garage sales, auctions, flea markets, used record stores and antique outlets....I uncharacteristically strike up conversations with perfect strangers. It also fills a void I have since retirement for the thrill of the hunt. Whereas I used to hunt down people, now I hunt for obscure sound recordings. The key is to keep the inventory moving. More like a clearinghouse. Don’t let your collection become stuff or clutter. I sell most of it and only keep what “sparks joy” for me. Haha!

Yesterday, I saw a moving sale sign and followed it to a townhouse. I went inside and engaged the people there in some nice conversation. Not seeing any vinyl, I asked. Didn’t one of the ladies live next door and didn’t she have a stack of old records and didn’t she haul them out for me. And didn’t I find a very nice copy of The Miles Davis Quintet, “Someday My Prince Will Come”. And.....didn’t she sell it to me for a reasonable price.

Thats what gets my juices flowing.

I have the "Tune In" app on my phone and tablet. You can basically stream any radio station around and broadcast via blue tooth (or Apple Airplay) to a smart home stereo receiver, TV, or a small boom like Bae's. I like having a real radio person to program my music rather than some streaming computer program. It's free. I use Pandora much in the same way and if you don't mind a few commercials it's also free. Those little portable booms have surprisingly good quality and are mobile. Mine is an Ultimate Ear and I think they are a quality brand.

I put all of my CD's onto my computer hard drive and also onto a memory stick. There are those who claim the MP3 format looses sound quality compared to CD's, but I have a moderately expensive home stereo system with big floor speakers and I really can't tell a big difference. The technical issue is having a TV or stereo receiver that can use blue tooth or play from a USB port and memory stick.

Thread Information