Thread: Win/win for old seed packets

Win/win for old seed packets

Today I was at my state's Organic Farmers Conference. I attended a talk on winter sowing- its a technique to start your seeds outside. I spend a lot of money on seeds, and wasn't ready to risk them trying out something new to me, in case I screw it up. And then the speaker mentioned that a local university, partners with Master Gardeners and has a free seed program. One of the area discounters (Ocean State Job Lot for you New Englanders) donates last year's unsold seeds to this program, and you just pay for postage (20 cents per pack). Ocean State gets good PR, the seeds get a new home. Win/win.

Now I just need to start collecting milk jugs and other containers to try out this technique!

Interested hearing about your experience if you are willing to post afterwards. I don't have a big enough garden area to get too adventurous.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That's a really good deal on the old seed packets. I was browsing the local dollar store and noticed they were selling seeds for fruits and vegetables. When I checked, it appears they were only good for growing Zones 1-4, and Phoenix is in Zone 9. Too bad, and I'm guessing those will remain unsold and will be tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Today I was at my state's Organic Farmers Conference. I attended a talk on winter sowing- its a technique to start your seeds outside. I spend a lot of money on seeds, and wasn't ready to risk them trying out something new to me, in case I screw it up. And then the speaker mentioned that a local university, partners with Master Gardeners and has a free seed program. One of the area discounters (Ocean State Job Lot for you New Englanders) donates last year's unsold seeds to this program, and you just pay for postage (20 cents per pack). Ocean State gets good PR, the seeds get a new home. Win/win.

Now I just need to start collecting milk jugs and other containers to try out this technique!
    Yay, Ocean State Job Lot! They just opened one near us, and I noticed they do sell seeds. Also, yay, MG program!! Today I start a MG-VT program.. my credits from NJ aren't transferable, so I get to take the program two years in a row--probably a good thing for my aging brain!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information