Page 107 of 165 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see damning evidence has surfaced against Mayor Pete. He allegedly rang a bell for the Salvation Army.
    The Salvation Army does have a rep for being anti gay.....
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Years ago when I lived in Portland, during the Clinton/Bush faceoff in 1992, Clinton came to Portland. He spoke at a public square a block from my job and I had the chance to hear him during my lunch break. Now there was a great speaker and charisma. Rob
    The Bill and Al show came to my workplace that year. Both of them. I vaguely remember listening to parts of their speeches but it was crowded and cold weather, easier to watch on tv if
    i really wanted to catch the whole thing.

The Salvation Army does have a rep for being anti gay.....
    Rob
    I think we may have reached the point in certain quarters where not being aggressively pro-something is equated with being anti-something. Obviously, Pete didn’t have a problem with participating. Or at least not enough of one to refrain. If he wasn’t offended, I see no reason to be offended on his behalf.

Ps I believe I voted for the Bill and Al ticket that year, probably the last remnants of my Democratic activity. That, or perhaps it was 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ps I believe I voted for the Bill and Al ticket that year, probably the last remnants of my Democratic activity. That, or perhaps it was 1996.
    IL, you have me intrigued here. Given your many conservative stances, I'm surprised that you voted Democrat in the past. Did Clinton and his eight years in office seal the deal for you to be conservative? No snark here, I'm just curious. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think we may have reached the point in certain quarters where not being aggressively pro-something is equated with being anti-something. Obviously, Pete didn’t have a problem with participating. Or at least not enough of one to refrain. If he wasn’t offended, I see no reason to be offended on his behalf.
    Personally I'm willing to cut Pete some slack. He's a politician, and if he hadn't participated in the event he would have been slammed for "promoting the gay agenda" or whatever.

That said, I'm also not willing to donate money to an organization whose belief system includes the belief that I should be dead.

IL, you have me intrigued here. Given your many conservative stances, I'm surprised that you voted Democrat in the past. Did Clinton and his eight years in office seal the deal for you to be conservative? No snark here, I'm just curious. Rob
    It was the long arm reach of the federal government into my neighborhood, their lying and bureaucratic methods, that sealed the deal and turned me. Years of it. Their blunder-headed stupidity culminated in a Housing and Urban Development dept. map of “buildable lots” in my neighborhood that included my two lots of flower garden space.

This plan was presented in a public meeting, one of half a dozen, where the Feds were soliciting “ideas” about developing more public housing in our immediate area. I was shocked, to say the least, to see that “idea” so thanks Bill Clinton and your minions. Over my dead body.

Had they come to take my lots, we would have had a mini Ruby Ridge here at the iris lilies flower farm.

I have told this story many times. I’ve also said that the biggest campaign contribution I ever gave was to a Democrat, for $1000. I got some5ong oit of it, but regardless, the politician was a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Personally I'm willing to cut Pete some slack. He's a politician, and if he hadn't participated in the event he would have been slammed for "promoting the gay agenda" or whatever.

That said, I'm also not willing to donate money to an organization whose belief system includes the belief that I should be dead.
    Fair take in my book.....and I believe you are right.....to not ring the bell could have caused issues of the sort you refer to. Rob

I really admire the Salvation Army for the work they do to help addicts and alcoholics recover through their housing and work programs. They have helped many of my clients. However, I do hate that they are so intolerant especially since one of my stepson’s and a good friend of mine are gay. I do donate yearly because the majority of the money goes to the clients.

I have such mixed feelings about the SA. First of all, they are a religious organization, and that's a big NO for me right there. The anti-gay thing is also a really big deal for me.
    On the plus side, I understand that they are often in the trenches providing help to those who need it most. I have a very dear friend who was basically "saved" by them, he might have died in the gutter without them. He has been working in one of their stores now for over a decade, has an apartment and has really turned his life around. He isn't highly compensated but he loves his job! So I always give to the bell-ringers and consider that my thank-you because I never had to let dear friend move in with us.

Thread Information