Page 104 of 165 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

We could just repeal the tax cuts trump gave and that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We could just repeal the tax cuts trump gave and that would be great.
    I guess you wouldn't appreciate Senator Booker's idea then. It's refreshing to hear a Democrat essentially say "We're not interested in taking from your neighbor, we want to help you become more affluent and we'll all be better off as a result". I guess it's refreshing because it's essentially a Republican ideology.

Maybe there's a visceral thrill in taking things from others that's simply inherent in the Democratic psyche that I just don't understand.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Maybe there's a visceral thrill in taking things from others that's simply inherent in the Democratic psyche that I just don't understand.
    Perhaps. Similar to that visceral thrill Republicans seem to get in denying even small necessities, like a school lunch for a kid whose parents are behind in their lunch bill, that I just don't understand.

Btw, Alan, I'm simultaneously bummed and pleased that you didn't fall for my attempt at pushing your buttons. I promise to try harder next time.

As soon as those tax cuts were made republicans started talking about cutting SS and Medicare calling them entitlements. Workers earned these.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    As soon as those tax cuts were made republicans started talking about cutting SS and Medicare calling them entitlements. Workers earned these.
    Republicans have been talking about unsustainable entitlement spending for a lot longer than that.

If they were truly, earned and paid for on an actuarialy sound basis, it might be different. But they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Btw, Alan, I'm simultaneously bummed and pleased that you didn't fall for my attempt at pushing your buttons. I promise to try harder next time.
    Good luck!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps. Similar to that visceral thrill Republicans seem to get in denying even small necessities, like a school lunch for a kid whose parents are behind in their lunch bill, that I just don't understand.
    My wife works at a school with a high percentage of students from low income families. All the students in the school get free breakfast and lunch as well as sending many of them home with weekend meals on Fridays. That's all a local initiative funded by our property taxes and benevolence from several local churches as well as the traditional SNAP programs dependant on Federal funding, and a perfect example of why local governments are preferable to national ones. Of course, we live in a bright red area so sitting on our thumbs waiting for the feds to take care of things like this is outside our working model.

Thanks for reminding me how wonderful it is to live in a conservative community.

Alan, that’s great! When I was a social worker in Wisconsin we set up a summer lunch program at the poor schools for children to eat a cold lunch. Adults couldn’t eat. It was a sandwich, milk and piece of fruit. Food couldn’t be taken out. We never knew how many kids would show up so we were always calling each other and driving food around. The highlight was a piece of cold fried chicken on Friday. I brought all my kids outgrown clothes and the kids could pick what they wanted. It was a combination of federal and state money. Many of my blue collar democratic friends were against it saying people needed to take care of their own kids.

I guess you wouldn't appreciate Senator Booker's idea then. It's refreshing to hear a Democrat essentially say "We're not interested in taking from your neighbor, we want to help you become more affluent and we'll all be better off as a result". I guess it's refreshing because it's essentially a Republican ideology.
    Well it's going to hit hard limits to growth sometime though. Although it's not always clear when and how.

But there is an argument that a different path could have been taken in that the U.S. could have emulated Germany and focused on high paying jobs etc. and that's not the route it went. And would more people in the U.S. be better off if so, maybe. But we never adopted that type of policy and so that's not the economy we have, we kind of went the low wage route ... which works not so well in a high cost of living country.

The Booker discussion was essentially a tax disagreement, on what type of income to tax, I don't think he's necessarily wrong in preferring capital gains and estate to wealth taxes so. I have no huge issues with Booker, he's qualified, and he's good on the criminal justice type issues he emphasizes, much weaker on other issues.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information