Page 77 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I watched tonight's debate as well. I'm not impressed with the majority but I do like Mayor Pete, he seems to me to have more integrity than the rest of the field combined.
    Oh my, we actually agree on something! I like him too!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I though Butig??? came across as very sincere, practical-minded and intelligent. I think if he were just a wee tad older, things might go in his favor.
    Age discrimination?

I though Butig??? came across as very sincere, practical-minded and intelligent. I think if he were just a wee tad older, things might go in his favor.
    Personally, in addition to his obvious intelligence, practical ideas and calm, sober attitude, I like the fact that he brings the perspective of a new generation. We've had baby boomer presidents for my entire adult life. Maybe it's time for someone with different life experiences to take charge.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I look at Trump and I look at the Democrats and I wonder if it isn’t too late to draft Nikki Haley.
    Since the republican leadership in a number of states don't want to risk a primary it would appear that it is indeed too late. Perhaps in the post trump world she can be the one to go up against Steve King to determine the future soul of the republican party in 2024.

I completely agree that someone youngerr and fresher should take the reins. But I know enough older folk who think differently so makes me wonder if Buti could pull ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since the republican leadership in a number of states don't want to risk a primary it would appear that it is indeed too late.
    Have Republican (or Democrat) primaries been cancelled before, when the serving president is of the same party?

Is the motivation "to protect Trump", or are there other issues?

I've always wondered - political parties are private organizations. They aren't an official part of the government. Who pays for the election costs of the primaries? I know when the political district I was an elected official of had a primary for out non-partisan seats, we had to pay the state/county for the associated election costs out of our budget. Do the private political parties have to do so as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Have Republican (or Democrat) primaries been cancelled before, when the serving president is of the same party?

Is the motivation "to protect Trump", or are there other issues?

I've always wondered - political parties are private organizations. They aren't an official part of the government. Who pays for the election costs of the primaries? I know when the political district I was an elected official of had a primary for out non-partisan seats, we had to pay the state/county for the associated election costs out of our budget. Do the private political parties have to do so as well?
    Primaries of both parties have been cancelled before. If this article is an accurate read of the various times it’s happened it appears that cancelling primaries doesn’t help a weak incumbent.

https://time.com/5672551/gop-canceling-primaries-trump/

Personally i don’t understand why states pay the costs of having primaries. But i suppose the two parties that benefit are also the people who make the rules so getting that changed seems pretty unlikely.

I completely agree that someone youngerr and fresher should take the reins. But I know enough older folk who think differently so makes me wonder if Buti could pull ahead.
    At this stage of the game in 2016 or 2008 the ultimate winners were not considered likely to win. And i imagine if you go back further there are plenty of other ‘unlikely’ presidents in our past.

At first I was Team Kamala. Then I moved to Mayor Pete.

Today I finally and firmly decided I am in the Yang Gang. I even donated.

Yppej
    I was interested in hearing Beto and tried to go to one of his rallies last weekend but his campaign was so unorganized they could not tell me where to park. He does not seem ready for prime time. Both rallies in my area were at college campuses although the older the voter the greater the turnout, so that seemed a poor move also on his part.

Thread Information