Page 86 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I could be wrong, but it seems to me like it's coming down to Warren in light of recent events. Bernie's heart attack has emphasized his age vulnerability, and Trump's convoluted conspiracy theory investigation of Biden has cast a shadow on him.
    Do you think the kerfuffle over her story about being fired for getting pregnant will do her much harm? Or can it just be dismissed as a sort of foundational myth like Dick Blumenthalís Vietnam service, Clintonís bold rush through a hail of bullets or Bidenís hardscrabble coal mining family? Or even her own previous Cherokee ancestry?

I suspect it will matter more in the general than the primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The election season really needs to be shortened, by law, to I don't know 6 months max.
    There would seem to be some serious First Amendment issues with that.

All that's going on right now is some private political organizations are running around trying to select their candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The election season really needs to be shortened, by law, to I don't know 6 months max.
    France regulates: Even if the French have the feeling that they live in an almost quasi-permanent electoral campaign, the length of an official campaign is very brief. As a general rule, it only lasts for the two weeks preceding the first ballot and if necessary the week between the two ballots.[9] That would be BLISS!

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/campaig...nce/france.php

Another debate tonight. Will the 2-3 front runners cement their positions? Will the single digit crowd start launching Beto-style Hail Mary passes at guns or religion or the Electoral College or other hate objects in a desperate play for attention?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Another debate tonight. Will the 2-3 front runners cement their positions? Will the single digit crowd start launching Beto-style Hail Mary passes at guns or religion or the Electoral College or other hate objects in a desperate play for attention?
    DH swears Trump will win in 2020 because the Dems have no Trumpesque candidate. However you feel about Trump, he stirs people. Is Biden going to stir people? We all know the mainstream media and moderate Dems are pushing for Biden, but Trump will eat his lunch. Unfortunately, Bernie's mild heart attack is going to make him vulnerable, and Liz is smart as a whip and may appeal to people with her policies, but lacks charisma.

As far as the second tier goes, there are some great candidates there, but their smoldering embers have not caught fire yet.

Our only hope that Trump will be defeated by the Never-Trumps who would vote Mickey Mouse in over The Donald

I can't wait for tonight.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Elizabeth Warren has plenty of charisma, IMO. Her rally attendees seem to think so, too.

Biden is supposed to have some, but I don't see any. I guess it depends on the observer.

Whatever the opposite of charisma is (miasma? ), Trump surely has it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Elizabeth Warren has plenty of charisma, IMO.
    Hmmm... maybe to some. She definitely has passion, but I think her charisma may extend only to certain people who respect her life's work. DH (who I admit, is a bit Trumpian himself, but I love him anyway), thinks she comes off as a school marm. Unfortunately there are probably a LOT of male voters who are going to discount her for that reason alone. I may be totally wrong, but it's just an instinct. Kind of the Hillary effect, but instead of just coming off as the b... that everyone loves to hate, Liz is, as LDAHL once described her, the hall monitor.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I could be wrong, but I donít think this race will be settled by charisma. For one thing, I think Janeís right about the subjectivity of charisma this round. There are several versions of it out there, none of which appeal to s decisive majority.

I also thing this election will ultimately be settled by people voting against what they dislike rather than for what inspires them. There are many and different reasons people could name for voting against Trump or the better-performing Democrats, but nobody has an overwhelmingly broad appeal. The electorate is too fragmented for that.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Hmmm... maybe to some. She definitely has passion, but I think her charisma may extend only to certain people who respect her life's work. DH (who I admit, is a bit Trumpian himself, but I love him anyway), thinks she comes off as a school marm. Unfortunately there are probably a LOT of male voters who are going to discount her for that reason alone. I may be totally wrong, but it's just an instinct. Kind of the Hillary effect, but instead of just coming off as the b... that everyone loves to hate, Liz is, as LDAHL once described her, the hall monitor.
    There are going to be a lot of people who will come up with any excuse not to vote for a woman. What would they prefer, one wonders, some weak, simpering fool? Plenty of those around. The caliber of women who could successfully compete for the highest office in the land are going to be smart, strong, and confident. (I do notice, however, that all the top female candidates tend to go around grinning like chimps, as is the expected norm for women in this country. Men are allowed to look like serious adults.)

Jane if I refuse to vote for Hillary or Elizabeth Warren does that make me one of those people who will look for any excuse not to vote for a woman?

I don’t know if Elizabeth Warren has charisma because I haven’t seen her in video that I can remember, but I think she has a young face I think she’s cute. It always surprises me that she’s as old as she is which is what in her 60s late 60s?

Thread Information