Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 678

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

  1. #131
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,496
    "The Moral Majority was 30-40 years ago. And looking at the current landscape, they don’t seem to have made much of a lasting impression. I think it’s safe to stop worrying about them."

    I'll be eternally grateful if you're right.
    the only lasting impression they left me with was disgust.

    I have a strong aversion to prigs (even though I'm descended from Puritans, or maybe because.)

  2. #132
    Williamsmith
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    This whinging about "virtue signalling" just makes me laugh, as the right practically invented it. How could we forget "family values" and the "moral majority" not to mention the constant pearl-clutching over other people's abortions (post birth kids--who cares...) And all totally hypocritical, it turns out. I'll take Democratic virtue any day, and Democratic candidates, in all their varied splendor.
    Seven minutes of the most repulsive Democratic hypocrisy broadcast since George Wallace....also a Democrat racist.


  3. #133
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,496
    What Northam did was juvenile and reprehensible, and I don't much care how it plays out, but his actions pale in light of Brett Kavanaugh's--who was elevated to the Supreme Court with a cursory non-investigation.

  4. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,193
    This whinging about "virtue signalling" just makes me laugh, as the right practically invented it.
    I don't get it, I literally never have, what's wrong about trying to be virtuous? Do people have that much problem with trying to be ethical per se
    (this does not mean I might not have problems with certain ethical systems, but I don't think it's a problem in general with "virtue" per se is all).

    Now it may get mentioned sometimes in conversation, but I don't think one should be announcing one's virtue from the rooftops 24/7 because remember HUMILITY is also a virtue! Is that just the point of it, to retain some humility? Then, of course. And anyway there are circumstances extreme enough to drive the best of us to less than ethical behavior so it's not just that.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  5. #135
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,496
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't get it, I literally never have, what's wrong about trying to be virtuous? Do people have that much problem with trying to be ethical per se
    (this does not mean I might not have problems with certain ethical systems, but I don't think it's a problem in general with "virtue" per se is all).

    Now it may get mentioned sometimes in conversation, but I don't think one should be announcing one's virtue from the rooftops 24/7 because remember HUMILITY is also a virtue! Is that just the point of it, to retain some humility? Then, of course. And anyway there are circumstances extreme enough to drive the best of us to less than ethical behavior so it's not just that.
    It's all just marketing and spin--was it Lee Atwater or Karl Rove who advised Republicans to attack their opponents' strengths?

  6. #136
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The average person is getting a tax shock that they are paying more in taxes not less as trump promised. I saw some interviews in Iowa and people that voted for him are mad.
    CNBC did a story on this claim a few days ago and MSNBC touched on it (without going into any details) today. It seems that some people are not getting as large a refund as they have in recent years due to the IRS changing their withholding tables. That doesn't mean that people are paying more taxes but as an MSNBC pundit noted this morning, 90% of our citizenry cannot tell you how much they pay in federal taxes but 100% can tell you how much their refund is.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,494
    We try to be as close to the break even point as we can so they aren’t using our money for free.

  8. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    What Northam did was juvenile and reprehensible, and I don't much care how it plays out, but his actions pale in light of Brett Kavanaugh's--who was elevated to the Supreme Court with a cursory non-investigation.
    Agree. Another instance of "SO/Selective Outrage."

  9. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    CNBC did a story on this claim a few days ago and MSNBC touched on it (without going into any details) today. It seems that some people are not getting as large a refund as they have in recent years due to the IRS changing their withholding tables. That doesn't mean that people are paying more taxes but as an MSNBC pundit noted this morning, 90% of our citizenry cannot tell you how much they pay in federal taxes but 100% can tell you how much their refund is.
    Having managed a payroll for many years, I can attest to the truth of this. Far too many people, including well-educated professionals, seem incapable of the most rudimentary tax planning. They make no connection between withholding and tax liability, have no idea of the tax impact of various benefits or how to think about retirement. Nor are they interested in educating themselves when we offer opportunities to learn. Itís sad and aggravating.

  10. #140
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,462
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Having managed a payroll for many years, I can attest to the truth of this. Far too many people, including well-educated professionals, seem incapable of the most rudimentary tax planning. They make no connection between withholding and tax liability, have no idea of the tax impact of various benefits or how to think about retirement. Nor are they interested in educating themselves when we offer opportunities to learn. It’s sad and aggravating.
    Well, in our defense, there is also “tax planning fatigue” where at every turn there is a tax issue, and to determine the overall best course is difficult. I don’t want to live my financial life according to the tax man.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •