Page 131 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Denmark paid people to furlough through the pandemic so that their jobs were waiting for them to get back to after the pandemic, people didn't lose jobs and have to start all over, then brought down the pandemic of course. Canada paid people 2k a month so they could pay rent etc.. during the pandemic, still is I believe, then worked on bringing the pandemic down. We can't do any of this. And it's not that those countries are so perfect, it's just that here is such a complete disaster. And the economic damage and the pandemic continue without end, demand destruction etc. Who pray tell is going to have any money to spend when this is done with people racking up debt on unpaid rent, losing jobs etc., with little money to spend there goes the economy, never mind restaurants closed reopened closed again and again, people afraid to frequent many businesses because there still is a very active pandemic going on etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

I totally agree Happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I was under the impression that the funny money approach was fairly popular internationally. What are other countries doing differently?
    Other countries are universally masked and diligently testing and contact tracing. Also, they have sufficient PPE and follow the lead of doctors and scientists. Along with the afore-mentioned pandemic stipends to preserve jobs (not crony payoffs). In other words, everything we failed miserably at.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I used to think that way, but have recently come to the conclusion that it may be short-sighted. If I want a particular governing philosophy to be advanced in the long term, I believe I should vote for the candidates who reflect it most closely, even if their chances in the immediate future are low. Otherwise the ultimate result is the ghastly regression to the political mean we see right now with the two dominant party candidates.
    And it will stay that way. Your vote is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    HappyStuff, I will only point out that it might be confirmation bias that led you to think Trump would not enter the White House. You didn't want him to, the sources you read didn't want him to, your circle of friends talked about that impossibility, etc so you heard what you wanted to hear.

I am reminded of Bernie Goldberg, a former news producer for CBS who recounted in his book about the George
    Bush elections. In his little circle of liberal elite Eastern seaboard journalists, no one could comprehend Why anyone would vote for Bush, so it was assumed among those elites that it wouldnt happen. They were shocked both times.

I guess we saw the same phenomena with Hilary.

Me, I have no doubt that if Trump is defeated he will make noise and twitter flutters about a rigged election, he aint going anywhere, etc all the while, Melania will have been packing to get the hell out of Dodge. And they will be gone.

What The Donald tweets and what The Donald does is often at odds.

That alone should make you shudder!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    And it will stay that way. Your vote is meaningless.
    I disagree, using your vote to reflect your preferred philosophy seems to me to be every citizens ultimate responsibility. Voting for someone who simply tells you what you want to hear seems to me to be the height of irresponsibility.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I disagree, using your vote to reflect your preferred philosophy seems to me to be every citizens ultimate responsibility. Voting for someone who simply tells you what you want to hear seems to me to be the height of irresponsibility.
    This is what privilege sounds like. People for whom the election results could potentially cause personal harm are likely to be more pragmatic in their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    This is what privilege sounds like. People for whom the election results could potentially cause personal harm are likely to be more pragmatic in their choice.
    I think true privilege is being able to be pragmatic in your choice although I don't expect anyone accusing others of privilege to recognize that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think true privilege is being able to be pragmatic in your choice although I don't expect anyone accusing others of privilege to recognize that.
    I suppose it is when compared to people living in Russia or somewhere else who don't have the luxury of choosing the candidate least likely to make themselves or their loved ones dead or seriously harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose it is when compared to people living in Russia or somewhere else who don't have the luxury of choosing the candidate least likely to make themselves or their loved ones dead or seriously harmed.
    That's what I'll be doing, thanks for noticing.

Thread Information