Page 103 of 165 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Yppej
    Deval Patrick is running. He was my governor and a generally capable technocrat but not at all inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Deval Patrick is running. He was my governor and a generally capable technocrat but not at all inspiring.
    Well, he wouldn’t be the first Bain Capital guy to run for President.

Another exciting debate tonight. Will they pile on the Mayor of the fourth largest city in Indiana because he polls so well in Iowa. Will anyone heed Mr. Obama’s plea that plans be rooted in reality?

I'm reminded of Malcolm Gladwell's paradox of choice. Some choice is better than than none, but it doesn't follow that more choice is better than some, because of analysis paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm reminded of Malcolm Gladwell's paradox of choice. Some choice is better than than none, but it doesn't follow that more choice is better than some, because of analysis paralysis.
    I’m not sure we didn’t get better candidates from smoke filled rooms than we do from primary elections and a gauntlet of debates. Maybe a group of jaded party chieftains assessing who in most likely to defeat the opposition works better than turning the process over to the most zealous members of your own party or mobs of previously unaffiliated zealots looking for a flag of convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    ....turning the process over to the most zealous members of your own party or mobs of previously unaffiliated zealots looking for a flag of convenience.
    Seems to me like that's how Donald got elected, but I accept the process. I think the immediacy of the media and access to large and various forms of information that may or not be correct has significantly changed the essential elements of the primary and election process. It's not like the newspaper/radio days or even Newsweek/ABC TV. Something obviously the Russians have recognized, but also the various candidates and their media campaigns, such as say, Obama is not a U.S. citizen.

Gladwell brings up the example of multiple flavors of Oreos, each being supposedly different when they are essentially the same cookie. People get into analysis paralysis and just grab something off the shelf, but maybe something distinct rather than similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Seems to me like that's how Donald got elected, but I accept the process. I think the immediacy of the media and access to large and various forms of information that may or not be correct has significantly changed the essential elements of the primary and election process. It's not like the newspaper/radio days or even Newsweek/ABC TV. Something obviously the Russians have recognized, but also the various candidates and their media campaigns, such as say, Obama is not a U.S. citizen.
    I think so. He hadn’t said or done much prior to the 2016 to indicate Republican leanings.

I’m not sure I blame the media all that much. I don’t believe there was ever a golden age of media fairness and objectivity. What we basically had was the viewpoint of establishment respectability and not much else. I don’t know that there was much less nonsense than today, and I have trouble believing that Russian internet trolls are having any more influence today than any of the disinformation campaigns of the past.

Yppej
    Was Eric Swalwell wise to get out before the eruption of Fartgate?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Was Eric Swalwell wise to get out before the eruption of Fartgate?
    That poor guy just happened to be on camera at the wrong time. Rumor has it Chris Matthews has a history of startling everyone on set without any hint of embarrassment or ownership.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Watching tonight's Democratic debate. Elizabeth Warren began with an all out promise to confiscate wealth from the top 1%. Cory Booker said "as Democrats we need to forget about taxing wealth, we need to concentrate on growing wealth for everyone". I think he found his true Spartacus moment!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information