Page 109 of 165 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Today I heard Joe Biden speak. This was the biggest campaign event I have been to yet, but it was very old school. There were lots of staffers around with clipboards asking people to sign in. Warren, Castro and Booker all had people sign in via text. I had signed up online in advance, but that did not guarantee me a seat. Everyone had to wait outdoors for a half hour or so, first come first served in a line that snaked a few blocks. We were only let in a few at a time, but not because there was any rhyme or reason to the seating. There were empty skipped seats but people were directed to the stage or balconies. Several of us turned down Biden stickers, only to be told we could not get in without them and had to take them. That was a lie.

The audience was the whitest of the 11 events I have been to, so I am surprised that Biden is seen as a candidate for minorities. He had all the politically correct speech down, including that slavery is the "original sin" in America, yet opposed reparations. He said government must help the middle class but it was unclear how since he said like his father he "doesn't want a handout."

Biden was generally vague and used lots of anecdotes. He took a half dozen or so questions and droned on and on in his replies. There was a large press corps there and I imagined they must he so bored following him around and hearing the same thing all the time. I had a good question prepared that would have shaken things up but I was not called on. People asked things already covered on the news, like who he would pick as vice president. This led to long anecdotes about when he was selected as vice president as well as identity politics pandering, talking about how he has many females and African-Americans in mind. My bet is Stacey Abrams so he can be doubly politically correct.

One man held a sign about climate change. Biden kept looking at him. Finally he told him, "Ask me about climate change. I want a question on that." He then claimed credit for the Paris climate accords and said he would reinstate them with some sort of indexing to changes in scientific assessments. Hey Joe, how about not killing trees by pushing unwanted campaign stickers on people?

He kept saying, "For real" and "no joke" again and again. I wouldn't want to be stuck listening to him for four years, one hour was more than enough for me.
    Thank You for your take on Biden! I myself don't care for Biden as a candidate and I can't see him winning over Millenials. To me he seems out of touch and out of date for a world changing so rapidly and moving so fast. I cringe at the prospect of a Biden/Trump showdown.....my take is Trump would win. I'll vote for Biden if that's the race coming......but I wouldn't be voting for Biden. I'd be voting 85006, approval of expanded Medicaid for the working poor, and of course I'd be voting against Trump, US Customs and Border Patrol, and the vast majority of US LEO's.

I'm crossing my fingers that Warren or Mayor Pete get the Democratic nomination. Rob

How is a vote for Biden a vote against the vast majority of law enforcement officers? I suspect the candidate would be horrified to be identified with that line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    How is a vote for Biden a vote against the vast majority of law enforcement officers? I suspect the candidate would be horrified to be identified with that line of thinking.
    Most - but not all - LEO's support Trump. Voting against Trump in a way is a quick and efficient way to vote against American policing in it's current form - ditto for voting against US CBP. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Most - but not all - LEO's support Trump.
    Where is your source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Where is your source for that?
    Most leo's I have known of a conservative or at least lean that way. I'm sur not every last leo is conservative but the majority seems to be. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Most leo's I have known of a conservative or at least lean that way. I'm sur not every last leo is conservative but the majority seems to be. Rob
    What makes you think being conservative equals being a Trump supporter? Do you not listen when we talk?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

apparently the International Union of Police Associations supports him. How many of the 100,000 members agree, I don't know. But I haven't heard about any backlash from members over this announcement.

https://www.courthousenews.com/polic...ction-in-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    apparently the International Union of Police Associations supports him. How many of the 100,000 members agree, I don't know. But I haven't heard about any backlash from members over this announcement.

https://www.courthousenews.com/polic...ction-in-2020/
    In 2018, there were 686,665 full-time law enforcement officers employed in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    In 2018, there were 686,665 full-time law enforcement officers employed in the United States.
    I suppose the IUPA could be an outlier. Since the Fraternal Order of Police represents many more LEOs (346,000) it will be more indicative if they re-endorse trump as they did in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose the IUPA could be an outlier.
    I have also found on other social issues in the past that union endorsement was perhaps a poor proxy for the views of the overall membership...

Thread Information