Page 63 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And raising federal income tax rates back to reasonable levels.
    I suspect if you cut the military budget 50%, you might well be able to reduce taxes.

Any discussion of "reasonable levels" of federal income tax rates would have to look at the *effective* tax rate after all the various deductions and special cases are considered. It is common to say "look, they paid NN% back in 1960, let's go back", but generally those comparisions are looking at the notional marginal rates, and not what *actually* got paid after all the dust settled. I know though it is a handy marketing slogan.

I'm not sure how much Bernie's health care type proposals hold up under scrutiny, but he makes a case that since we won't pay deductibles, health insurance premiums, co-pays and items not covered by some policies, the increase in taxes to pay for the new system would not be a significant marginal burden for people.

I'm trying to understand what they are calling Modern Monetary Theory. It has been mentioned working with the new green deal. The economics are so contrary to what we've followed, it sort of odd, but I can seen possibilities. Rather than creating new debt or more taxes, electronic money is just created in some electronic accounting balance sheet. The risk of increased inflation would be regulated with tax floating tax rates. If I get it right. After all, there doesn't appear to be a defined ceiling for borrowing and budget balancing anyway.

As such, taxation and debt are not required for government spending.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...ment-explained
    Last edited by Rogar; 8-3-19 at 7:14am.

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    Is this forum just for democrats? i dont even get the news where I live, but seems like this is democrat dominated? what about the independants and republicans? after reading through this, it seems pretty one sided... there must be something the independants are doing right, and something the republicans have going on for good?? seems like we tend to be so busy looking for the bad, that we completely miss the good. building up someone or something seems so much better then tearing down someone or something... what was that famous thing that JFK said??? ask not what .... somehing or another... focusing on the good stuff is the real test of ones nature. i have seen the Church mentioned around this forum... what does the word say about this sort of thing?

i am probably just being a ignorant hick or something, forgive me, and feel free to ignore me. i cant even spell...

AG

Plenty of republicans and independents on here. We love the diversity!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Plenty of republicans and independents on here. We love the diversity!
    I've been a registered Independent for over thirty years.

The only reason I'm a registered Democrat is so I can vote in the primaries.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Is this forum just for democrats? i dont even get the news where I live, but seems like this is democrat dominated? what about the independants and republicans? after reading through this, it seems pretty one sided... there must be something the independants are doing right, and something the republicans have going on for good?? seems like we tend to be so busy looking for the bad, that we completely miss the good. building up someone or something seems so much better then tearing down someone or something... what was that famous thing that JFK said??? ask not what .... somehing or another... focusing on the good stuff is the real test of ones nature. i have seen the Church mentioned around this forum... what does the word say about this sort of thing?

i am probably just being a ignorant hick or something, forgive me, and feel free to ignore me. i cant even spell...

AG
    The group skews towards liberal, but we definitely have a few articulate and outspoken conservatives as well!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Is this forum just for democrats?
    No.

That would be boring if we were all the same.

Yppej
    I am an independent.

Thread Information